Countersunk plug removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian2147

Reaction score
Recommendations to remove a countersunk clean out plug( with the rectangle)it’s cast iron so it’s not going to budge that easily, any tips or methods on how to remove it, with out a “special” tool. Would be greatly appreciated

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it's what I think it is, it screws in. YOu may need a big wrench. If there's a lot of corrosion, you might just twist that square nub off of the whole thing if it's bronze as that can get brittle when old (happened to me once). A torch might help loosen things up if you try heating around it (not the plug as that would expand it tighter in the hole). Then that becomes a bit more of a hassle and then, you might need a chisel and small sledge to get it out, and then, if you're lucky, the threads are still decent and you can put a new one in when you're done.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pasco Clean out removal tool #4567 will remove quite a few different ones.

upload_2020-6-24_5-25-35.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I usally cut them out carefully and slowly .

Metal hole saw to start and cut back to the CI treads using a reciprecationg saw ( sawzall)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you could try a chisel but rather than waste a lot of time cut out like sylvan said

Reach4

Reaction score
Recommendations to remove a countersunk clean out plug( with the rectangle)it’s cast iron
Usually the plugs were brass -- softer to cut out-- or maybe even lead. Try a magnet.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A lot of houses have ABS plugs here in Ca or even commercial jobs whether its new or 100 years old hands could have been on it befor . When in doubt cut it out! getrdone