Consensate pump line

Users who are viewing this thread

Mdenglund

Reaction score
Hi All -

I have searched a bit on this, but am getting various answers so hoping for clarity - hope this is in the correct forum, please point me if not!!

We have a condensate pump for our high efficiency furnace, so it operates both in winter and summer. The takeaway line clogged up a few days back and was a huge pain to unclog.... took several attempts of snaking with a wire and compressed air to clear it. It is 1/2 inch copper pipe that runs through a finished basement ceiling for a span of about 35 feet with likely several 90 degree turns to hit my floor drain across the house. So, a few questions I am hoping you all can assist with:

1. I have read that copper might eventually develop pin holes based upon the condensation that furnaces generate - is this true?? Should I replace it with vinyl tubing (note, not a small project based upon the span and with the ceiling all finished / insulated).
2. If the copper is ok, is there anything I can add to the pump that is safe for the copper to keep it clear / clean without eroding it, or am I better off just blowing it out every so often as clog prevention?
3. Any tips on connecting the safety shutoff from the pump to furnace (would've come in handy a few days back...)? I have a Ruud Achiever 90 Plus furnace and the pump is an Everbuilt which came with wires that plug into a Run and Com connection on the pump. Not sure where exactly to connect those into the furnace so it shuts complete power to AC and furnace if pump fails / line clogs...

Thank you in advance for any thoughts / advice!!

Marty

Highlander

Reaction score
Maybe look into a condensate neutralizer, some look like a typical under-the-sink filter but contain pellets that make the condensate less acidic. Less damage to your finished ceiling than replacing the cooper.

JJMB_070616_V-250-COMBI_03_-768x864.jpg

Mdenglund

Reaction score
Thank you both! I will certainly look into the condensate neutralizer - will save me a big headache!