Compression vs threaded valve for icemaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocknroj

Reaction score
good day

i want to replace my icemaker supply line and valve.. there is a saddle valve in a crawl.. about 50 feet from the trap door and concerns me that leaks will go unnoticed.. soo...

my plan is to run 1/2" copper off a ' t' from where the saddle valve is.. in the wall i am planning on a 1/2" compression valve to 1/4" and a leftover plastic box from a wash machine.... then i can replace the valve readily.

Seems i can more readily get a leak free connection using compression fittings vs threaded.

Is there any good reason why not to use a compression type shutoff valve in this application?

From what i can find out most boxes have a threaded valve.. and lots of posts about leaks as well..

as an aside..,. why oatey, eastman and others don't post installation instructions... i cannot tell how to install these things without going to the store and handling it..???? or picture here..

thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a bad plan.
Compression angle stops and threaded angle stops have about the same chance to leak, depending on the installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks