Composite Vs. Stainless Over mount Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim3131

Reaction score
We have new counters (Quartz) and want to put in an over mount sink (standard size) . A plumber suggested that a Composite sink would be better because it would sit more uniformly and not require a clamp down. He said lower chance of leaking from sides as the years went by and SS bent slightly? Any opinions about this?
At first it sounded great until I heard about the greater required care for composite.
I've seen SS last 50 years and look great.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I prefer the composite sinks as undermounts, but a friend of mine did his as an overmount and I think it looked great. Stainless sinks have a much lower profile on the countertop.

Both when installed properly will just stay in place forever.

Tim3131

Reaction score
Stainless sinks are ugly they rust and bend and leak in many different places over the years. They also look cheap. Use composite.
Thats what I have heard.
But the composite you are supposed to keep dry, be careful of hot liquids. and they stain and discolor.
Is it true that stainless sinks fail over time (Leak)????

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stainless sinks are made of thin metal, they flex everytime you put something in them which pulls on the caulk seam around the sink. They are notorious for leaking around the strainer. They suck, buy anything but a stainless sink.

Reach4

Reaction score
Stainless steel sinks don't rust. If you see rust, that was from something being set inside, and that thing rusted. Composite (premium plastic) sinks would get rust stains. Stainless sinks do not usually fail over time, but if you leave some metals sitting there for a longer time, they can pit due to electrolytic reaction. Some chemicals, even salt, can cause pitting. Higher quality stainless is more immune to such degradation. So how will a 40 year old stainless steel sink hold up vs a 40 year old composite sink? I don't think the composite sinks have been around long enough for us to know.

While my experience is limited, I have not known a stainless steel sink to bend. I can't disagree that you find them ugly. They are probably considered "dated" at the moment, but you realize that whatever else you put in, those will also be considered "dated" at some point. Granite countertops were the hot thing for a good while. They are nearly dated today.

I find vessel sinks unappealing, but I like "form follows function".

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thats what I have heard.
But the composite you are supposed to keep dry, be careful of hot liquids. and they stain and discolor.
Is it true that stainless sinks fail over time (Leak)????
Quality composite or stainless sinks generally are not going to have those issues.

I have a quality stainless sink in our office that looks great, doesn't leak, has no rust and gets used by a dozen people every day. I also have a stainless shop sink recovered from a restaurant 20yrs ago in my garage that gets abused.. I leave rusty junk in it all the time and and that wipes up clean in a few quick seconds of scrubbing.

Any of the composite sinks that I've seen in my customers homes long after installation I've never seen anything wrong with them.

We spec and install both composite and stainless on hundreds of projects every year and I've only had an issue with one composite sink that was cracked. The manufacture warrantied the sink and our method of undermounting allowed us to remove and replace the sink without damage to the cabinet or counter top.

We always spec and provide the grids that go on the bottom of the sink to lessen the wear and tear on them, but honestly I doubt most of our customers actually use them.

Blanco Sinks - Composite brand we use the most
Kraus Sinks - Stainless brand we use the most

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stainless steel sinks don't rust. If you see rust, that was from something being set inside, and that thing rusted. Composite (premium plastic) sinks would get rust stains. Stainless sinks do not usually fail over time, but if you leave some metals sitting there for a longer time, they can pit due to electrolytic reaction. Some chemicals, even salt, can cause pitting. Higher quality stainless is more immune to such degradation. So how will a 40 year old stainless steel sink hold up vs a 40 year old composite sink? I don't think the composite sinks have been around long enough for us to know.

While my experience is limited, I have not known a stainless steel sink to bend. I can't disagree that you find them ugly. They are probably considered "dated" at the moment, but you realize that whatever else you put in, those will also be considered "dated" at some point. Granite countertops were the hot thing for a good while. They are nearly dated today.

I find vessel sinks unappealing, but I like "form follows function".
My experience is not limited and I don't sell sinks so go for it.

Reach4

Reaction score
My stainless steel sinks have not been attracted to a magnet. I don't know if they are all that way.

Tim3131

Reaction score
I have a Blanco Composite sink coming in the mail. I leaning towards returning it and getting a good SS.
I got the Composite because a trusted plumber told me he would not install a Stainless sink because of leaking around slightly bent sides over time. If you look at the reviews for the composite sinks they are all good , except after a few years they all talk about stains, discoloration, Sensitivity to standing water , extra care.........

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Elkay is probably the top of the line in stainless steel sinks. That is what we have in our office and its likely been installed for 20yrs on a laminate top. No signs of leaking or warping or denting or rusting. Some of the grain has been scratched, but it is installed for likely more than 20yrs in an office which gets a Lot of use on the daily.

Almost all stainless sink manufacturers offer thicker grades of stainless and a whole slew of features.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every veteran plumber has opened the cabinet doors under a stainless steel sink and found the clips to the sink on the floor of the cabinet because water got under the rim like your plumber warned and rusted the sink mounting track to the point where there no longer was one. Every time you put weight in the bottom of the sink or press down hard while cleaning it your deforming the sink. I have had to repair these leaky sinks more times than I can count.
If you plan on installing a garbage disposal then I really wouldn't want a stainless sink because of the vibration.
I'm not selling sinks and I do this stuff everyday. If you don't abuse it, it might last.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't know anybody had such strong feelings on sinks. I think it's about like anything else you can buy good ones and bad ones. I have a somewhat expensive undermount stainless sink that will go with my quartz counter top when I decide I want to spend the money on it. I looked at all kinds and it seemed like the best for the money.

Here's a stainless lav we're working on right now. It definitely wasn't cheap. They went with it for durability.

Gayewski-01.jpg

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get an 18ga SS sink with a brushed finish and you will be fine. Get the other if you like it better.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A good stainless sink looks good for a very long time. No worries about chipping like you can get on cast iron, though cast iron is pretty nice for a sink too.
One time I installed an Americast kitchen sink for someone. We had an earthquake, and the things above the sink dropped into it and it was a shattered mess. They don't make that style anymore. I still like the bathtubs, but then I'm not dropping dishes in them either.
I really like cast iron tubs, but they are getting too heavy for me to install as I get older. Acrylic, I can do those and they look super nice. Kohler makes some nice ones.

Oh yes, composite kitchen sinks are nice too.

Tim3131

Reaction score
I know what James Henry is talking about. I've seen the sink clamps on the cabinet floor too. I don't think my advising plumber is wrong.
So I guess its between Composite (discoloration, Heat sensitive, picky maintenance, not supposed to leave a wet dish ) and
Stainless ( failure around the rim) And there will be a disposal.
Maybe a thicker gauge stainless would work?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know what James Henry is talking about. Ive seen the sink clamps on the cabinet floor too. I dont think my advising plumber is wrong.
So I guess its between Composite (discoloration, Heat sensitive, picky maintenance, not supposed to leave a wet dish ) and
Stainless ( failure around the rim) And there will be a disposal.
Maybe a thicker gauge stainless would work?
Elkay has some nice ones that use the "perfect drain" system check those out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't have issues installing drains on stainless sinks. The key is to limit how much putty is used, excess needs to be able to squeeze out or it will continue to loosen in a bit. I tighten several times, shifting to other things that I'm working on around the install, letting the putty squeeze out until it's a done deal. Works for me.
With a cast iron sink, I use more putty because of the depth of the hole I'm dropping the drain in.
With composite, each sink is different. Maybe less and maybe more. More often less.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks