Code Interpretation

Users who are viewing this thread

kybob

Reaction score
I'd like to make sure I am interpretting this correctly before chatting with the inspector. I'm replacing a bunch of old galvenized with PEX and planned to do a homerun system for a variety of reasons. I had a few questions.

1) Does the below (120-8-2-2) just mean the stub out needs to be within 30" of say a faucet. For example, a 20ft run to a lav with a 24in SS hose from the valve to the faucet?
2) The table below appears to call for 3/4 inch for a shower, but only 1/2 for a bathtub. That doesn't seem logical - do others interpret it that way.

1. The minimum size water service from the property line to the water heater shall be three-fourths (3/4) inch.
  2. The hot and cold water piping shall extend three-fourths (3/4) inch in size to the first fixture branch.
  3. More than three (3), one-half (1/2) inch fixture branches shall not be supplied from a one-half (1/2) inch pipe.
  1. The schedule in this subsection shall be used for sizing the water supply piping to a fixture.
  2. The branch pipe to a fixture shall terminate not more than thirty (30) inches from the point of connection to the fixture and shall be brought to the floor or wall adjacent to the fixture.

Fixture BranchesNominal Pipe Size (Inches)
Bath tubs1/2
Combination sink and tray1/2
Lavatory1/2
Water closet (tank type)1/2
Hot water boilers3/4
Wall hydrant1/2
Shower (single head)3/4

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wish I woulda seen this sooner A Tub or Tub/shower requires more water than a single head shower . my code has fixture units and a tub is double the number of fixture units 4 fixture units vs 2 fixture units. not familiar with Kentucky looks like a typo to me maqkes no sence to me

kybob

Reaction score
Wish I woulda seen this sooner A Tub or Tub/shower requires more water than a single head shower . my code has fixture units and a tub is double the number of fixture units 4 fixture units vs 2 fixture units. not familiar with Kentucky looks like a typo to me maqkes no sence to me
All good. I spoke with the inspector and they said 1/2 was fine as long as it was the only fixture on the line, the 3 connections to 1/2" would not fly in this scenerio but 1/2 home run was fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea but its shocking your code thinks a shower needs more water than a tub totally wrong . Im guessi8ng its an only in kentucky thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks