Bad Pitless Adapter Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Arlie

Reaction score
The water from my pressure tank is bleeding back into my well. I pulled the cap off the well, when the pump shuts off, I can hear air being sucked as water falls back down in the well...but when the pump kicks on, there is no water spray from around the pitless Adapter. It is to note, the check valve at the tank is working....tank holds pressure.

My water is clean / clear, so I guess there is no water leak outside of the well casing...I think muddy water would mean a water leak outside of the casing.

So, do Pitless Adapters have a replaceable rubber washer on the well side ? That is, If I pull my water line up just far enough to dick with the well side of the Pitless Adapter, is there a washer I can replace in an attempt to seal the line ?

Thanks!

Bannerman

Reaction score
There should not be a check valve topside before the pressure tank. The only check valve is to be located at/within the submersible pump.

The topside check valve maybe preventing the pump's check valve from fully closing, thereby allowing water to leak back through the pump, resulting in negative pressure placed on the pitless adaptor O-ring seal which is allowing air to leak past the seal.

Removing/disabling the topside check valve will allow the pressure tank to maintain constant positive pressure within the drop pipe back to the pump, which will likely force the pump's check valve to close fully.

Since the pitiless O-ring is currently not leaking while under positive pressure, the resulting constant positive pressure within the drop pipe is likely to cause the pitiless adaptor O-ring to remain sealed.

Last edited:

Arlie

Reaction score
I had a contractor build my house in 1980. There has been a check valve just past the pressure tank T since the house was built. I have seen this to be common in other homes.

As I mentioned, I hear air being sucked at the Pitless Adapter when the pump stops.

This issue started just a year ago....after almost 40 years after the home was built.
???

Reach4

Reaction score
So, do Pitless Adapters have a replaceable rubber washer on the well side ? That is, If I pull my water line up just far enough to dick with the well side of the Pitless Adapter, is there a washer I can replace in an attempt to seal the line ?
Yes, but it is usually called an o-ring. Knowing the right size can be hard, but you can get a kit and choose one from that. When you change or reuse an o-ring, you should lightly lubricate it. I like Molykote 111, but many O-rings are OK to lube with Vaseline. Natural rubber O-rings are not OK to lube with Vaseline. A few early pitless adapters use leather washers.

If you pull the pitless movable part temporarily, you may be able to get brand and model info.

You may have another leak in the well, be it in the drop pipe or the check valve in/at the pump.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I had a contractor build my house in 1980. There has been a check valve just past the pressure tank T since the house was built. I have seen this to be common in other homes.

As I mentioned, I hear air being sucked at the Pitless Adapter when the pump stops.

This issue started just a year ago....after almost 40 years after the home was built.
???
Just because it is common doesn't make it right. Removing the check valve at the tank will eliminate the vacuum on the pitless. It may cause the pump to come on when no water is being used if the check on the pump is leaking. But that is how you find the leak which will need to be fixed at the pump. It may only be the pitless leaking as it is under tremendous pressure from water hammer caused by having the check valve at the tank. The vacuum caused by the check valve at the tank is sucking contamination into your water supply, which is why check valves above ground are illegal in states that understand the problems they cause.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
The water from my pressure tank is bleeding back into my well. I pulled the cap off the well, when the pump shuts off, I can hear air being sucked as water falls back down in the well...but when the pump kicks on, there is no water spray from around the pitless Adapter. It is to note, the check valve at the tank is working....tank holds pressure.

My water is clean / clear, so I guess there is no water leak outside of the well casing...I think muddy water would mean a water leak outside of the casing.

Thanks!
I think I am mister pitless because 99% of my water delivery pr oblems came from a bad pump (fixed) or SCREWING AROUND TRYING TO GET A PITLESS FROM 1974 TO MATE PROPERLY. It took me about a year to figure out that the only pitless gasket that would work with my adapter was a $5 leather sold by Milby plumbing supply in Virginia. I tried lots of O-ring kits, all leaked. The leather gasket that fit so nice has given me no problems. Also? 2 years almost with the cheap hallmark pump No complaints. I think i know why...the cheap hallmark pump is a just a cheap hallmark pump. If you spend $300 more you can get a nice franklin or goulds pump which is my cheap hallmark pump with a Franklin sticker on it. It's all been sold out... we cant buy quality stuff even if we wanted to

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks