Backup Sump-Separate Discharge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Treeman

Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of piping my new Wayne ESP25 battery backup through a separate discharge line (Wayne's preferred) vs. tied into the primary sump pump discharge line (most other brands)??

Here are common installation alternatives:
3UzIypN.png
M53-sump-pump-with-battery-backup-pump-installed-above-primary-pump.jpg

THANK YOU!!!!!

Atomic1

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of various failures. Tough call which is better.

In my opinion, a dedicated backup line would be a benefit in the following instances:
Clogging of the discharge point of the main line
Failure of the main check fitting
massively high volume that the primary pump cant keep up with

The cons of a dedicated backup line would happen in these instances:
Clogging of the backup line by rodents/debris/etc since it's used so infrequently

Treeman

Reaction score
I had thought about your clogging of main discharge line comment, but your two additional "pros" are new ideas to me.

Your rodent concern is also good reason to treat this system the same as a standby generator. That is, check it regularly. Like all things, you can only do so much, and accept that poo sometimes happens.

Thank you sir.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I imagine the ground freezes in Michigan as it does here in Canada. My neighbor's sump line froze one Winter.

I designed my sump line in two sections. The first section is short and slopes back to the sump pit. It discharges into a longer section that slopes down and there is an air gap where the two meet. The drain-back prevents the first section from freezing. If the second section were to freeze, it would overflow onto the ground which slopes down and away. It has never frozen to my knowledge. My softener discharges through it so the chloride probably has something to do with it not freezing.