Advice - Storage and pressure tank setup

Users who are viewing this thread

bluefadedstars

Reaction score
Question for everyone, our well is being drilled next week and i'm kinda stuck on the best layout.

We are wanting to utilize the well to pump directly to a 550 gallon Water tank and then be hooked directly to our off grid camper with a spicket off the water tank for other filling needs.

To me it makes most sense to go:
Well - Check Valve - Water storage (with float sensor) - Shut off valve - Pressure Tank - Pressure Gauge - Heigh Pressure Relief Valve - Pressure Switch - Drain spicket - Line to Camper

we'll be running an RPS solar pump from the well to the tank, I'm just not 100% sure with what I'm thinking.

it the well is placed in ideal spot it'll be about 40-50ft from the camper, fairly level from eachother.

Any suggestions and advice is more than welcome, I've never dealt with doing this before but want to learn, thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You forgot the pressure pump after the storage and before the pressure tank. Those are often less power-efficient than submersible pumps.

If you could store power, and feed your water system directly from the well, that would probably be more power-efficient. You don't yet know how much water flow will be available from your well. If your well is low-yield, then you would still need storage.

If your storage were 60 or 70 ft elevated, you would not need the pressure pump, because gravity would deliver water under pressure.

bluefadedstars

Reaction score
You forgot the pressure pump after the storage and before the pressure tank. Those are often less power-efficient than submersible pumps.

If you could store power, and feed your water system directly from the well, that would probably be more power-efficient. You don't yet know how much water flow will be available from your well. If your well is low-yield, then you would still need storage.

If your storage were 60 or 70 ft elevated, you would not need the pressure pump, because gravity would deliver water under pressure.
Gotcha, I was hoping to not have to add an additional 3k for the pressure pump in between lol

I'm not sure yet if we'll need the 400w or 800w submersible pump, once I have the well specs I can order whichever it will be.

Technically we could go directly from the well to the camper, I guess we could just add a tee for a spiket to manually fill the storage container.

Just trying to fully wrap my head around what all needs to be done to start with getting the water to camper and a storage tank.

Moving the tank to higher elevation is possible, we'd just have to remove a bunch of trees but it be uphill from the well

Reach4

Reaction score
Each foot of elevation above the cabin plumbing gives 0.433 psi of pressure from gravity.

It does not take a lot of pressure to fill the tank on a regular flush toilet.

You could time water use to sunny times, or you could start a generator on occasion.

Bannerman

Reaction score
What is the purpose for the storage tank? Most wells are capable of providing sufficient volume directly, but your well driller will need to test how much water your new well will be capable of delivering.

bluefadedstars

Reaction score
What is the purpose for the storage tank? Most wells are capable of providing sufficient volume directly, but your well driller will need to test how much water your new well will be capable of delivering.
To have in the event of an emergency as well as having access to water when the solar pump isn't producing. If we need to draw water for something it's already out of the ground

Reach4

Reaction score
The proposed well pump is powered directly by solar cells.

There is an option for adding deep discharge lead acid batteries, and that would seem to provide the non-water-storage solution. The elevated storage tank, letting gravity head pressure provide the pressure to the camper, would be another way to avoid a separate pressure pump.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Since the camper will be off-grid, I anticipate a battery bank will be utilized since lighting, refrigeration and environmental temperature conditioning will typically require power after sun set and, on days when it is overcast with insufficient sun available to generate power.

The pump systems mentioned are both low head, with the 400V system capable of significantly less head than the 800V system. At this point, the well is not yet drilled so the depth to water remains unknown. Also, there has been no mention of the amount of desired water pressure, or at least the minimum pressure needed to operate the camper's shower and other fixtures.

The expense stated for a pressure pump was an additional $3000. Perhaps a simpler, less costly and more flexible system could be built using solar panels and a battery bank to supply power to an inverter which then can power a more common AC submersible pump and other AC appliances.

There is a broad range of standard submersible pumps available which are capable of various head ranges including sufficient head to supply 30/50 or 40/60 psi directly to the camper and other fixtures, without the expense and complications of using an elevated/non-elevated storage tank, or an additional 'solar' pressure pump.

Last edited:

bluefadedstars

Reaction score
Since the camper will be off-grid, I anticipate a battery bank will be utilized since lighting, refrigeration and environmental temperature conditioning will typically require power after sun set and, on days when it is overcast with insufficient sun available to generate power.

The pump systems mentioned are both low head, with the 400V system capable of significantly less head than the 800V system. At this point, the well is not yet drilled so the depth to water remains unknown. Also, there has been no mention of the amount of desired water pressure, or at least the minimum pressure needed to operate the camper's shower and other fixtures.

The expense stated for a pressure pump was an additional $3000. Perhaps a simpler, less costly and more flexible system could be built using solar panels and a battery bank to supply power to an inverter which then can power a more common AC submersible pump and other AC appliances.

There is a broad range of standard submersible pumps available which are capable of various head ranges including sufficient head to supply 30/50 or 40/60 psi directly to the camper and other fixtures, without the expense and complications of using an elevated/non-elevated storage tank, or an additional 'solar' pressure pump.
There is a solar setup that is tied into the camper to provide all needed power for it.

Looking at the solar RPS submersible pump to avoid having to invest in more batteries and inverters at the moment. Kind of the secondary reason behind the storage tank.

For the near future the water pressure for the camper should be between 45-55. And honestly it's just for the shower and the sink.

I did find a setup online utilizing a 12V water pump along with the pressure tank which, simple renogy setup with a single battery. Only question on that one is it doesn't show a pressure switch or high pressure valve.

I know it'll be easier to figure out once I have the well specs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126_191717_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231126_191717_Drive.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 45

OLDMARINE

Reaction score

One purpose is to have water in a tank as back up when your well stops operating...trust me I know by experience! We went five days without water while the 40 year old well pump system was completely overhauled.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks