3-way T-Port ball valves for Water Softener install

Users who are viewing this thread

beolson25

Reaction score
Is it ok (per code) to use 3-way (T-Port) valves to install the softener loops off the main? I'm trying to reduce the number of elbows in the plumbing. It seems like the most efficient way to do it is to have three valves right in the main flow line.

Something like this:

|
T-Port --------------------------------
|
|
Standard Ball Valve
|
|
T-Port ---------------------------------
|
|

Additional question ... I'm already a bit irritated but let me just ask. I had the softener loop inspected and they require a Backflow preventer(LF009M3QT). It has to be mounted horizontally but my main is vertical at my point of access. I'm trying to figure out the most efficient plumbing path to reduce flow restricting elbows(lets ignore 45s vs 90s in this discussion).

I'm thinking the below(ugly, I know) but I HATE that loop back to the main for the Backflow preventer. Please note, I'm a home owner, not a plumber. I'm most worried about flow restriction.

|
T-Port -------------------------------- Softener Output
|
|
Standard Ball Valve
|
|
T-Port --------------------------------- Softener Input
|
|------------------------------------------------------|
|​
|-------------Back Flow Preventer-----------------|
|
Main line

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Beo -

Have you looked at the specs on the valve ? It's been awhile since I've looked, but the last time I was looking at specs/part #s respective in the Apollo (domestic made) valves, I did not see any in T-Full Port

beolson25

Reaction score
The Plumber plumbed this in but the Backflow was a secondary thought. I know it is a disaster but I'm curious what others think. Am I making a big deal about the plumbing?

Last edited:

beolson25

Reaction score
Beo -

Have you looked at the specs on the valve ? It's been awhile since I've looked, but the last time I was looking at specs/part #s respective in the Apollo (domestic made) valves, I did not see any in T-Full Port

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about the Water Softener Specs or the Backflow Specs? Or maybe the specs on the T-Port. I'll attach an example of the T-Port here:

https://www.valworx.com/product/3-w...port-34-npt/brass-3-way-ball-valves-full-port

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "common" port on most 3 way valves is the center one, so your diagram would not work as you have it drawn. You would need SEVERAL elbows, but would not need the "middle" ball valve. The "common" on the "inlet valve" would be the supply water, and on the outlet it would be the service water to the building. You would turn both 3 ways 90 degrees, so the ports on one side would go to the softener. The ports on the other side would be connected together by a "U" shaped piping arrangement. In normal operation the common would be connected to the softener. For bypass the handles would be rotated and "auxiliary ports" would be connected together which would isolate the softener.

Last edited:

beolson25

Reaction score
The "common" port on most 3 way valves is the center one, so your diagram would not work as you have it drawn. You would need SEVERAL elbows, but would not need the "middle" ball valve. The "common" on the "inlet valve" would be the supply water, and on the outlet it would be the service water to the building.

HJ, thanks for the response. I did update the "diagram" for the backflow but i don't think that was your point. The idea of the T-Valves and the center valve is to allow for bypass. IF, I used proper T-Port valves I agree the middle valve would not be required but it may make me feel better.

It is worth noting on the link I provided there are 4 types of T-Valves. I see the need for a Type 2 and a type 3. Although they are probably the same thing if flipped. :)

But ... are these T-Port valves allowed by code? I should also note that there is a main shut-off prior to all of what I showed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They are all the same depending on how the handle is installed, but the common 3ways have 90 degee passage in the ball, not a "Tee" shaped one. Code doesn't care. If the right vavles are used, and installed properly, there is NO WAY you could have a "bypass" AND water to the softener. In an emergency, one or the other, but not both, could be used to shut off water to the rest of the system.

beolson25

Reaction score
They are all the same depending on how the handle is installed, but the common 3ways have 90 degee passage in the ball, not a "Tee" shaped one. Code doesn't care. If the right vavles are used, and installed properly, there is NO WAY you could have a "bypass" AND water to the softener. In an emergency, one or the other, but not both, could be used to shut off water to the rest of the system.

Awesome ... I will plan to rework the flow ... Once I can afford another upgrade. Thanks for the information.