Pipe Length for Schluter Drain Assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

jimmy408

Reaction score
Remodeling a corner shower using a Schluter 2" ABS drain and Schluter presloped pan. The problem I am running into is that the existing shower drain/P-trap is ~1 1/4" too high for the Schluter drain assembly using the provided spacers (probably due to the prefab insert with high ledge that I removed).

I have a fancy Wheeler-Rex internal pipe cutting tool that attaches to a drill and works beautifully but the spot where I need to cut is right in the middle of a coupling. And the next logical spot to cut (right below the 2nd coupling of that attaches to the p-trap tailpiece) would not leave enough stub to fit into a new coupling. It would be close -- if I cut right at the botton of that 2nd one it would leave ~1/2" and my new Charlotte Pipe coupling measures about ~7/8" for full connection.

Any advice on what to do here? I am hoping to avoid replacing the entire p-trap unless that is advisable given the situation. I have also been reading that a "fitting saver/reaming tool" may work in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7615.JPG
    IMG_7615.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7625.JPG
    IMG_7625.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7613.JPG
    IMG_7613.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
A Ram-Bit or other fitting saver tool to ream out the existing fitting (if you don't want to patch drywall, below) is your best bet unless you want to go for a no-hub type coupling that goes over ABS fitting x pipe size...which even some Ace Hardware stores stock...of course there may be other sources near enough to you.
How's downtown homeless mess lately? S.F. is hopeless, still.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remodeling a corner shower using a Schluter 2" ABS drain and Schluter presloped pan. The problem I am running into is that the existing shower drain/P-trap is ~1 1/4" too high for the Schluter drain assembly using the provided spacers (probably due to the prefab insert with high ledge that I removed).

I have a fancy Wheeler-Rex internal pipe cutting tool that attaches to a drill and works beautifully but the spot where I need to cut is right in the middle of a coupling. And the next logical spot to cut (right below the 2nd coupling of that attaches to the p-trap tailpiece) would not leave enough stub to fit into a new coupling. It would be close -- if I cut right at the botton of that 2nd one it would leave ~1/2" and my new Charlotte Pipe coupling measures about ~7/8" for full connection.

Any advice on what to do here? I am hoping to avoid replacing the entire p-trap unless that is advisable given the situation. I have also been reading that a "fitting saver/reaming tool" may work in this situation?

Thanks in advance!
Im going to say ram bit too , so thats 3 in a row i dont see why your rex wheeler tool isnt perfect for the job

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id use what I had rex wheeler , pasco , chinese, Hecho en mexico , tiny tim and a screwdriver weve been there done that LOL

jimmy408

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies!

@Jeff H Young my Rex-Wheeler would prob do the job - the blade is spring loaded but fits inside the extra 2" coupling with ~1mm of clearance. Rex-Wheeler also sell their own line of rambits that look just like the Reed. There are clear design differences between the cutter and rambit but if I set the stop correctly on the cutter is prob would do the job just fine. That said - I ordered a used Reed rambit on Amazon as it will probably yield a best result for a first time user like me.

@Breplum unfortunately the homeless situation is still pretty bad in Seattle. There are parts of downtown I just won't visit anymore. However there are also some pretty good nonprofits trying their best to do what they can.

Attachments

• rexwheeler.jpg
    rexwheeler.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 12
  • reed.jpg
    reed.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 12

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Heh.. didn't see that bit about the homeless problem. Our current mayor has been more active in moving out encampments that have gotten out of hand. But until we have a workable solution to deal with people who are not capable of being in public due to either mental/brain disorders or drug addiction we will have tents wherever they end up.

We need to go back to Institutions that house the mentally ill.. And unpopular opinion, we need to take the profit out of selling drugs by giving addicts a prescription for their addictions.