Can I replace this valve with a street 90?

Users who are viewing this thread

roldgold

Reaction score
Ive dealt with flares very little, looks the same as the other fittings.
If you need to sweat the adapter on the pipe coming out the wall Id shit can this entire flare fitting stuff. and just sweat a conventinal copper 90 on and treat it like the copper it is
This makes me a bit nervous simply because there isn't very much pipe sticking out of the foundation wall. And the pipe is not moving. So I'd have one shot to sweat this on properly.

roldgold

Reaction score
One more question for the brain trust here:

The water line coming in from the city is 3/4". The threads on the valve and on the flare nut are 1". So, when I'm buying an elbow, do I buy the 3/4" one that Tuttles linked, or should I be buying a 1" one? It's hard to find good info and none of the supply houses near me have one in stock that I can go look at. I'm thinking it's gotta be the 3/4" one, which matches the pipe size, not the fitting size, but again, I've gotten myself all confused here.

roldgold

Reaction score
Maybe a pic is helpful

Attachments

• 2024-04-26 18_06_44-PXL_20240425_120151575_cr.png
    2024-04-26 18_06_44-PXL_20240425_120151575_cr.png
    1 MB · Views: 15

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rold gold , As far as I know a 3/4 inch male flare thread would be around 1 1/16 inch diametor . so if you say 1 inch ok sounds right to me . that is a 3/4 inch fitting

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ours never are flare on the meter copper ends on a valve upstream of meter and poly isnt uncommon .
I enjoyed videos from" Harris water main and sewer contractors " on you tube a NYC company lets us get a look at how they roll in NYC !
All water meter connections are Flare from the Type K copper main (NYC)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Roldgold Im pretty sure you can leave the sweated end on the copper and screw any sort of flare adapter or valve you want on there the only issue I see is how a 90 will point after tightening but it is what it is. Its really hard to antisipate every posible senario. personaly id go for it have the fittings on hand and deal with the outcome worst case you dont have water for a few hours but I dont think you need to solder anything there if you dont posses the tools or skill use other fittings we established the size is 3/4 good luck holler if you still dont understand

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks