(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: help with gas line

Default help with gas line

i want to run a line from my house to a furnice in my garage (35'). I plan on using black pipe and was thinking of using 3/4". As well i plan on doing all the work except the final conections (i will hire someone) my questions are
    1) can i oversize my line without (3/4 instead of 1/2) any problems as im not sure what size BTUs the furnice is.
    2) being in alberta do i have to add a frost sleave at the entrance to garage and exit from house into the ground to prevent the line from stress
    3) i have a 3/4" line going into the house (main line) and i have a gas furnice, dryer and in the future a gas stove as well as a furnice in the garage is this line even big enough??
    any help would be appreciated

Default gas

I plan on using black pipe and was thinking of using 3/4". As well i plan on doing all the work except the final conections (i will hire someone)

Do not even think about using black pipe if you are going to bury it underground. It will not pass any code, and WILL rust out in a very short time.

1) can i oversize my line without (3/4 instead of 1/2) any problems as im not sure what size BTUs the furnice is.

3/4" would not be oversizing it. In fact it might be too small depending on the distance from the meter to the furnade and the furnace's BTUs.

3) i have a 3/4" line going into the house (main line) and i have a gas furnice, dryer and in the future a gas stove as well as a furnice in the garage is this line even big enough??

Probably not, but it depends on the length of the pipe and the BTUs being used.

Being in Canada you need to check with your local inspector to

#1 see if you are allowed to do the work your self and

#2 what materials and sizing are required in your area to do that kind of job.

ty i guess i better rethink this it just so hard to find a contracter due to the boom here