Plumbing questions for basement apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Red7

Reaction score
We are wanting to finish off an apartment in the walkout basement of a condo we are buying so my kids have a place to stay. There is already a finished bedroom down there and room for a bathroom/kitchen/etc. I'm definitely no pro, but I've done a fair amount of remodeling and conversions on about a dozen of our previous homes so I can eventually get the job done, once I know the proper way of going about it. I'm going to attach a couple photos and a rough drawing I made and here are a few questions I have:

1. It looks obvious where the builder planned for a toilet to go which kind of limits the floorplans. I'm wanting to know the best way of connecting a drain from the shower to the toilet drain. Is my best bet to build a raised floor for the whole bathroom to be able to connect the shower to the toilet drain? What all would I need to plumb it and vent the shower? From the toilet drain to the right wall is about 47" and from the toilet drain to the left wall is about 63" so I have plenty of width to work with. In previous houses, I've framed and tiled the shower myself but not yet sure if I'll do the same, or buy one. Either way, this apartment would be for 1-2 people so not heavily used.

2. To be able to walk in front of the toilet to access the shower, what's the least depth I can make that bathroom (the less room I use in the bathroom, the more I'll have for the kitchen). I know 48" would be more than adequate but wondering if there are bathrooms with less depth like 40" or even less.

3. Could I connect the bathroom sink to that vertical drain (from the upstairs kitchen) or am I better off also tying that into the toilet drain?

4. There also appears to be a smaller drain in the floor (maybe 2-3") and I'm wondering if I can use that for the kitchen sink. I only had about 10 minutes in there to take some measurements but will be back by there in 10 days to dig a little deeper.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Basement 1 with notes small.jpg
    Basement 1 with notes small.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 51
  • basement 2 small.jpg
    basement 2 small.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 46
  • Remodel with stove 2.jpg
    Remodel with stove 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need at a minimum one pipe that runs all the way out to your roof. The builder should have left a vent pipe for this somewhere.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see what looks like a vent clearly. The drain will need reworking for the shower to a tub and the kitchen sink I see as a challenge to meet code without cutting into the main underslab.
1 its already roughed in for a shower it looks but your plan shows a tub but you are calling a tub.

47 inches 30 inch wide tub leaves 17 inches center to the w/c 2 inches more than the absolute minimum so thats good
2, 60 inches for the tub your good there thats the minimum
3, I dont see any verticle pipe other than the vent for the bathroom and lav
4 looks like a shower drain rough in?
You might want to clarify some things pictures arent that good

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see what looks like a vent clearly. The drain will need reworking for the shower to a tub and the kitchen sink I see as a challenge to meet code without cutting into the main underslab.
1 its already roughed in for a shower it looks but your plan shows a tub but you are calling a tub.

47 inches 30 inch wide tub leaves 17 inches center to the w/c 2 inches more than the absolute minimum so thats good
2, 60 inches for the tub your good there thats the minimum
3, I dont see any verticle pipe other than the vent for the bathroom and lav
4 looks like a shower drain rough in?
You might want to clarify some things pictures arent that good
He said the vertical pipe is "from the kitchen" I assume from the sink which is why there's a cleanout. Also looks like they used that same pipe for a condensate drain.

The upper left corner there's something covered by insulation

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The red writing I cant read , some of what he said aint making sence , So you wouldnt have a vent on a bathroom rough? Im just saying that some shitty plumbing if thats a kitchen sink and some moron didnt properly plumb the bathroom. I was hoping there was another pipe going to kitchen somewhere. might have a lot of jack hammering to do

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The red writing I cant read , some of what he said aint making sence , So you wouldnt have a vent on a bathroom rough? Im just saying that some shitty plumbing if thats a kitchen sink and some moron didnt properly plumb the bathroom. I was hoping there was another pipe going to kitchen somewhere. might have a lot of jack hammering to do
Hopefully whoever did this didn't use that pipe for the kitchen sink drain. If they did then there's some reworking needing done.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hopefully whoever did this didn't use that pipe for the kitchen sink drain. If they did then there's some reworking needing done.
yep thats what Im talking about but see your point he did say that a kitchen line is in the pic its puzzling ? hence the jackhammer referance

Red7

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I didn't get an email notifying of any posts. I appreciate you chiming in. Let me clarify that I don't know what the original plumber (15 years ago) had in mind when they did what they did down there. I took some quick measurements and snapped some photos but didn't have time to investigate the plumbing so I was just going off of the photos. The toilet location seems clear enough so it seems he planned a bathroom down there but how difficult would it be to accomplish a small kitchen? I had to shrink the photos to get them to upload which doesn't help. I will be back there on Saturday and can investigate more.

I was planning on a shower but the free drawing tool I downloaded had a tub so I used that but could go either way if one is easier than the other. One of you mentioned the smaller drain may be a shower drain. If that's the case, can that be used for a kitchen sink since it's not in the most ideal place for a shower (almost in front of the window)? The main kitchen is directly above the proposed bathroom/kitchen area and interestingly enough, the kitchen sink looks to be directly above where that smaller drain is in the basement. Again, I'm assuming here but since it doesn't go directly down (unless it's behind the insulation which I can check on Saturday), I wonder if it makes a left turn and ties into that other vertical pipe.

Since I have large photo files, I can zoom in to certain areas if that would help since this site doesn't allow me to upload large photos. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks