Inside of the shower valve damaged from cartridge being stuck hard and removal methods

Users who are viewing this thread

nikodempikor

Reaction score
Waikiki, Honolulu, HI , USA , EARTH , MILKY WAY
My first post on this forum!

Please have mercy but not to much.

Please take a lookie - have you ever seen anything like it ? I manage 17 rental units in this condo called Marine Surf Waikiki, seen inside of the rough in in at least half of them, never anything like it!

Also, yes , 120 grit was probably rougher then smart choice to try clean out the inside from this plastic fused into metal..

I know what you'all wonder...what extraction methods and how very sophisticated tools have I used to get the buggah out ?

Well...bonnet nut said "Aloha! " to my oscillating tool..I hope that slight cut into the thread will not prevent new one from screwing on tight enough..
Plastic cartridge was intimately acquainted with Mr flathead screwdriver, Ms drill bit and concepts of leverage and rotational grinding..

You also wanna know what I am planning to do now.. I am DEFINITELY NOT planning on asking Building Manager to schedule a water shut down for all 224 units so I can replace the body.. I figure that smoothing out that inside with 180 / 300 grit + CLR on the bonnet nut thread + JB WaterWeld maybe..Yes of course I will take photos and share results..:)

What I would love to hear your opinion arte following items:

1) that incision into the bonnet nut thread...you think it is major boo-boo ?
2) my RP46074 is "type H" , but only ones I see available on Delta.com are "type P " - are they fully compatible ?
3) is there any likelihood that the original reason I started this job is valid?

What is the original reason ? Neighbor below me has been experiencing extreme water temp flactuations so AOAO ordered very expensive plumbing company to investigate...very expensive ( $450/hr ) service worker showed up, checked out my shower valve, noticed small leak from under the handle and said that primary suspect is my valve... He could have just used the shut off screws to verify his theory but no... he said his job is done at least until my valve is replaced... So I got to work..rest you see in the photos...:)

Attachments

• IMG_2791(3).jpeg
    IMG_2791(3).jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2799(3).jpeg
    IMG_2799(3).jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2802(3).jpeg
    IMG_2802(3).jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2804(1).jpeg
    IMG_2804(1).jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2805(1).jpeg
    IMG_2805(1).jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2809.jpeg
    IMG_2809.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2814(1).jpeg
    IMG_2814(1).jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2816(1).jpeg
    IMG_2816(1).jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2817(1).jpeg
    IMG_2817(1).jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2819.jpeg
    IMG_2819.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 39

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bonnet threads are fine. Basically there are older delta cartridges that are shorter. They were blue on the back. You should be good.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I love the pic of magical solid blocking -NOT !!!
Condo with no isloation _ Walk away. We've walked away from a dozen condo or apartment messes that lack isolation.
Now can't afford insurance to work on Condo's anyway, just not worth it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use scotch brite and vinegar to clean out the bore maybe a fitting brush on a drill the cut in threads shouldnt be an issue those nuts dont need to be super tight btw.
Just needs new guts from what I see. those valves can take a lot of abuse basically the first 1/4 inch or so needs to be smooth and the hot and cold counter bores need to be clean there are only those 3 places that need to seal the inside of that bore could be all scored up( except where the o rings are ) rough scratches whatever and not really hurt anything but when properly cleaned it should allow future cartridge changeouts

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks