Outside Hose Bibb Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Marinepaethor

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having an issue with the hose bibb on the front of my house. It is a 4" frostproof bibb. The one I have hooked up stopped working earlier this year when I tried to turn the water on. Something inside the bibb broke, because it doesn't open the valve when you turn the handle. The bibb is 3/4" inside thread to screw on to the pipe inside the wall. I had a heck of a time finding a bibb the correct length, with the correct internal thread size. I finally found one, but when I tried to hook it up today, I found the the threaded inside of the old bibb is a bit over 1/32" deeper than the new bibb. The result is that when I insert the bib into the wall and screw it on, it goes tight with the bibb upside down, with the spigot facing up. There is no way to get that last half turn to get the spigot facing down. I tried uses the spacer that came with the bibb, and stopping a half a turn early, but when I turn the water on it leaks because it not completely tight.

Other than looking a bit strange, does it make the slightest difference if the bibb ends upside down with the spigot facing upwards? Is there anything else I could do differently? The only other thing I could think of is to find a rubber washer that would fit inside the bottom of the threads, but I'm afraid the washer might not sit right, and it would leak.

I have a somewhat related question about thread tape for this project as well. Since the male end of the pipe is in the wall, I can't reach it to wrap thread tape around the end. Should I get some type of liquid sealer to coat the threads on the inside of the bibb before I put it on to avoid leaks?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice you can offer.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
With the bib facing upward the "frost" section will remain full of water after removing the garden hose. If you get a freeze the remaining water could freeze and cause damage. When you backed out the bibb 1/2 turn, how do you know it leaks? Is the male end in a basement or crawl space? Get a tube tube or bottle of pipe dope and give the threads a good coat of the stuff and then tighten the bibb to where it is needed and check for leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks