Need a check valve or other solution to keep bugs out of garden hose

Users who are viewing this thread

ironmanvsaquaman

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a solution to prevent bugs from getting into my water softener salt tank through the overflow drain.

The drain is just an elbow coming out of the side of the tank with male garden hose thread on the outer end.

I was thinking of either some sort of check/one-way valve or what I'd call a "rubber reed" valve (if there is such a thing for this application). I think I want to avoid a screen since I suspect it would be more likely to clog.
It doesn't have to seal super tight, just well enough to keep bugs out, and it will need to open with very little water pressure.

Would a hose bib vacuum breaker work?...
...or does this require substantial water pressure to open? The application is just a gravity drain with very little head.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks