Heating with vegetable oil

Users who are viewing this thread

pkrsiak

Reaction score
Has anyone come across a heating system using vegetable oil please?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not likely...even with today's prices, vegetable oil is more expensive than the petrolium based stuff. There is a moderate underground market for a substitute for diesel in vehicles. Dumping french frie smelling exhaust is one thing on a vehicle, but I'm not sure I'd like it in my house. I worked in a fried chicken place in high school, that smell ended up permeating the car from my clothes. Nasty.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mix the Vegetable Oil

If the vegetable oil is free and you want to burn it, and you are burning fuel oil as we do in the northeast, you can mix it in your fuel oil tank. It should be filtered to get rid of the french fry and fried chicken batter pieces, but adding 2 to 5 gallons to 200 gallons of #2 oil in your oil tank will not be noticed. I would do it only if my tank is inside; not where it is going to get below freezing and solifidy the hydrogenated components of the cooking oil.

I would never pay a premium for vegetable oil. My measure of value is most BTUs/$.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks