Oil in well

Users who are viewing this thread

Oiledwell

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a big problem that I have some ideas but could please use some advice.
I bought a house with an uncovered well (water is @100 ft bottom of well @150 ft)that I wanted to use and heard I can stuff an air hose in the bottom to blow out any carcasses or other bad stuff. I should have put a pump in and tested water first but I did not.
Like an idiot I rented a 185 cfm OIL !!! Lubricated screw compressor and blew out the well now I have very slight oil in the water. After the water setting for a while then pumping I can fill a glass and after a hour I see a slight bit of oil floating on top with some stink smell.
If I run the pump for an hour I get no oil floating and no smell.
I was thinking of dumping diluted biodegradable soap down in then pumping till no soap. Have any ideas ? I did not get a petroleum test
Thank you in advance.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
They use Dawn to clean animals after and oil spill. It will work to help get the oil out of the well also. But don't use too much or the suds will air lock the pump.

Blown a lot of wells with an oil lubricated compressor and never had that problem. The compressor must have an oil leak.

Blue Oaks

Reaction score
If you have a cistern or a water truck you could potentially put enough water down into the well to float the oil out.

titwrangler

Reaction score
If it was me id use dawn to disperse it like valve man said, this will make the oil sink remember bp oil spill? Thats all those fuckers did 4 ft of oil at the bottom of the ocean. Anyways after some dawn application id recirc the well by pumping garden hose back into it for an hour, assuming this doesnt make 2 much foam to screw up pumping id then run the hose down away from the well and pump as much water out as i can, hopefully sucking the sinking oil up as it goes. Anyways if you have an uncovered well dont ever even think about drinking it unless you can seal it totally and chlorinate the piss out of it, no doubt you have nasty bugs in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks