How not to clean out a septic tank!

Users who are viewing this thread

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
On a service call today to check a pump, I ran across someone cleaning there septic tank out.

Yes, there is someone in the tank, with a small shovel and a bucket.
The liquid was pump out, but there was still about 15" to 18"of sludge in the tank.

This is the most dumbest, and dangerous thing I have seen in a long time.

14717477-984.jpg

Last edited:

whiterabbit67

Reaction score
I had to dig like three feet of dirt up to get the lid off my septic so the guy could inspect the septic before buyin my 1st home in the country and dang if i didnt unearth A LIVE toad... 2 ft down .... he looked up at me like boy are you sure its springtime already...

Cedar

Reaction score
I had to dig like three feet of dirt up to get the lid off my septic so the guy could inspect the septic before buyin my 1st home in the country and dang if i didnt unearth A LIVE toad... 2 ft down .... he looked up at me like boy are you sure its springtime already...

In one place I lived, I lifted the lid on the toilet and there was a live frog staring at me. There was only one way he could have gotten in there. He went back the same way.

flush_lg_wht.gif

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
animals

How much was that guy in the tank getting paid, or was he auditioning for the "World's Dirtiest Jobs"? Between the aroma and toxic air I doubt that anyone would do that regardless of the pay.
Your toad stories reminded me of an event that happened years ago. They were digging a 4' diameter catch basin at one of my jobsites. They were about 20' down, and when they finished for the day, they left the drill in the hole for safety purposes. The next day they started the drill and lowered it to the bottom to continue digging. When they pulled it out, as soon as it reached ground level, a rabbit jumped off the dirt and took off running. Probably thought it was some new kind of "rabbit thrill ride", and one trip was enough.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure are some questions I'd like to hears answers to. Was the liquid pumped? What was he doing with the juice he was bailing out? Did he bail the entire tank with a bucket? Assuming he was just dumping the muck on the ground, did it occur to you to call the health department? You gotta give the guy some credit for sticking to the job. Not much credit in the brains department though! Wish you had some pictures to post.:eek:

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
The liquid was pump out, the rest was muddy slop.
Certain people were called by the neighbor, the out come is not known.
The stuff they were taken out of the tank was being put on a sheet of plywood.
What was done with it after that. ??????? Have no idea.
It was the nastiest thing I had seen in a long time.:eek:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Makes me wonder what kind of a septic service it was that pumped the liquid only out of the tank. Thanks for the follow up on my questions. I'm glad I didn't have to see or smell that mess!

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
Were asked all the time if we can recommend a pumper service.
We have the ones we use, and recommend them. But we tell the customer, no matter who you use, DON'T use the ones you see at the beer joint or bar.
It doesn't matter what you have done, don't go on price alone.

You get what you pay for.

breid1903

Reaction score
honey dipper

i did that as a kid. was very common back then. i'm 65. i get $180.00 bucks an hour now to do sewer or drain work. no one wants to pay me to hand dip a tank now. breid.............:D

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
breatheing fumes...

you could not pay me enough to do that kind of work....

whenever you stick yourhead into one of those things their
is actually steam comming off that mess and you can become
deathly ill from this...

their are even certain kinds of parasites and viruses that can
be transferred just from breatheing in that mist...you can get a mean stomach virus
just from breathing that funk into your lungs

over time you might actually develope a tolerance to it but
it is something I would not be bragging about..

those boys are dumb......

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks