Concrete septic

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
A small hole has appeared next to the clean-out opening and is about 3/8" across, just in the past week.
This is a concrete septic tank built by a local builder and started being used by the two of us in 2009. It is approx. 10'x 20' and has a raised step on one end for solids and a lower cavity for liquids. Has never been emptied and has worked perfectly since new. No gray water goes in it.
It has a cleanout on the solid side but I was tripping over it so I used a flush mounted cap and put a small covering of cement over it to hide it. (work shed is the reason.) The floor is approx. 3 inch thick concrete.
But. ..this is PR and the locals build them without a standard drain field. What they do is use full size concrete blocks and space them about 1/2" apart and that becomes the drain...this soil here has a slight clay content and holds it's shape. I've cut steps in the hillside with a spade shovel and they're still usable years later. Plenty of trees and fern plants growing around the septic. Plus we are in the middle of a long drought so the water table is low.
So when I open the door and go in I can smell you-know-what. Not powerful but it's there.
I've heard of septic explosions and they don't sound pleasant.
Getting a cleaning service to come would be challenging given our hilly terrain. But I'm not sure it's needed.
Ideas? thanks

oldVermonter

Reaction score
I'm a little unclear...have you ever had it pumped? Non-digestible solids will build up over time, and need to be removed periodically (every 3 years is the typical recommendation). If the solids overflow into your leach area, they can clog and potentially ruin it, which could certainly cause the smell you notice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks