How to manually clean a septic tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

oliveol

Reaction score
I know this isn't going to be a nice job, and believe me, I've contacted numerous companies to see if they can come out and clean the tank, however I live fairly remote, and no one appears keen to come out to do the work...

I have a relatively small septic tank (I think around 1M3). I've noticed when I flush my toilet, there is a bad odour, which after a bit of googling, appears to mean the septic tank needs the solids emptying.
Lacking any better options, can I simply get a shovel, and remove the solids myself? Will this solve the issue? Anything I ought to be careful of, so as not to break anything?

Thanks!

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Generally septic tanks are pumped out with a vac truck. 250 gallons is a pretty small tank. Where does it drain to? Is there a drain field or is it a step system that drains into the sewer? I see that you're in Europe so not sure how the systems work over there.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The "solids" are actually not all that solid and cannot easily be removed with a shovel. They are usually sucked out through a 2 - 4 inch hose with a vac truck.

sajesak

Reaction score
I know this isn't going to be a nice job, and believe me, I've contacted numerous companies to see if they can come out and clean the tank, however I live fairly remote, and no one appears keen to come out to do the work...

I have a relatively small septic tank (I think around 1M3). I've noticed when I flush my toilet, there is a bad odour, which after a bit of googling, appears to mean the septic tank needs the solids emptying.
Lacking any better options, can I simply get a shovel, and remove the solids myself? Will this solve the issue? Anything I ought to be careful of, so as not to break anything Maintenance contract services ellis county?

Thanks!
Before buying this place last summer, I had no experience of "private drainage"...
:?
We have a two-chamber system of the concrete variety. the liquid outfall is to a "reed bed" insofar as it is an area of marshy ground infested with reeds...
:roll:

My main question (and there may be others
:wink:
) is what are the indicators that the tank(s) need emptying?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score

How to manually clean a septic tank?

Manually? Pick up a phone and dial the number of a local septic company that can pump out your tank...

This is a really crappy job (sorry) and the equipment you need to do this right and the method of disposal is something you won't have access to. It doesn't cost that much to get it done.

John

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My main question (and there may be others
:wink:
) is what are the indicators that the tank(s) need emptying?
Do not rely on "indicators" as to when it needs to be emptied. If you wait for indicators, then it is already too late.
Open the covers on the the tank and probe the contents to see how deep the sludge is and how thick the floating scum is. If either of them are close to reaching the outlet baffle, it is time to pump it out. If either of them flow out of the tank into the leach field, then it is already too late as the damage is done.
how-does-a-septic-tank-work-original-plumber.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks