Yet another single to double vanity question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of this depends on your vanity...they come in heights from around 29" to 33" or even higher, so a fixed position doesn't really exist except in that 'ideal' situation. The wall opening needs to be where you have adequate room for the bottom of the sink, the trap and to maintain the proper fall to the wall and the vertical there.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
lojoma said:
Is this the scheme Terry wanted? Should I still have a vertical pipe after Lav2 connecting to the revent?

I had to dig around to learn some terms. Also, what I now have labeled as a santee in the stack I had drawn as what I thought was a wye. Does this need to be a wye or is a santee correct?

This is crazy! :D

terry has it right. that diagram is the way to do it except the upper "tee" should be an upside down santee. I don't understand all the talk of wet venting. I don't see a wet vent in any of the pictures posted, none of the vents were also carrying waste.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have the pedestals on hand you can always set them up with the pop up, hook up a p-trap and measure. and as far as pipe size, use 1.5".

If you start your first santee a couple of inches above the floor you should be able to get you trap arms as low as 16", maybe lower.

lojoma

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Why an upside down santee on the top?

Unfortunately, don't have pedestals on hand...trying to budget this a bit at a time. Maybe I can find one in a store all set up. I do have pretty detailed drawings from Kohler with the dimensions, though. I am using the same faucet as in a different bathroom, so I should be able to measure and see how long the pipes are. Yeah, we might be able to make this work.

Also, due to some obstructions, I can't get that bottom santee as low as you describe...so 21 to 21 1/2 may just have to work.

lojoma

Reaction score
Speaking of pipe size, the floor drain is 2" so was going to use 2" santees for the bottom two with 1 1/2" arms coming off for the horizontals. The existing vent pipe coming down from the ceiling is 1 1/2", so my thought was to put a reducer between the middle santee and the top one and use a 1 1/2" santee for the top one, so it can tie in with the existing. Or, I could use 2" on all the santees and reduce above it. Is either better?

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
lojoma said:
The existing vent pipe coming down from the ceiling is 1 1/2", so my thought was to put a reducer between the middle santee and the top one and use a 1 1/2" santee for the top one, so it can tie in with the existing.

rather than a reducer I'd use a 2"x1.5"x1.5" santee. the upside down santee because of the direction of air flow is from the vertical to the horizontal.

lojoma

Reaction score
Ah, I hadn't seen a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 santee...I'll go find one. Thanks for the advice.

jimi

Reaction score
Wye, santee, p and u traps

I am lost with all these plumbing terms such as Wye and santee etc.
Can someone put that in FAQ with drawing and functions. So that newbies like me can be educated.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
jimi said:
I am lost with all these plumbing terms such as Wye and santee etc.
Can someone put that in FAQ with drawing and functions. So that newbies like me can be educated.

A santee is a tee with a slight bend to it where it meets the other pipe, doesn't have a true 90.
A wye looks like a "Y" sort of. Picture a straight pipe with another coming off of it at 45*.

Wye:
Wye.jpg

Santee (sanitary tees):
santee1.jpg
santee2.jpg

Then there are combination fittings - looks like a wye with a 45 on the end. This fitting is used to lessen the # of fittings and mostly can be done with less space than two fittings.

You'll also here the term about a fitting "on it's back" which means the branch off of the main line is facing up.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
And just for sh**s and giggles, look at the size of this "tee". Biggest "tee" I've seen in PVC.....
tee-pipe-fittings.jpg

I worked on the design for an airport (RSW Midfield Complex) which had 3 or 4 8" water lines....multiple 24" sanitarys and lots o' greasetraps.

That was alot of fun.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks