Will this bathroom layout work? (diagram and pictures included)

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Kaminski

Reaction score
As a preface: I just bought my first house, and I'm learning a lot of this stuff as I go, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

I'm currently installing interior drain tile in my basement. I figured while I have a bunch of concrete busted up, I might as well rough plumb a bathroom I plan on putting in down the road. Right now, I have my eyes set on the old coal room under our front porch. I only have to bust up a little more concrete to put in drain line for the bathroom fixtures.

The main drain line runs under the middle of the room. I'm going to be removing all of the cast iron under my basement slab and replacing with PVC, up to the sewer cleanout in the pictures. The cast iron near the cleanout looks kind of rough, and I'm worried that a rubber coupler wouldn't seal around it very tight, even if I sanded it down a little bit. I'd rather just leave a foot or two of pipe and cut where it looks smoother and attach the PVC there. Only issue is that this will force me to throw a few 45°s in my toilet's drain to get it a little further from the cleanout.

I included a diagram I drew up (also my first time drawing up plans like this, so I know it's not perfectly up to scale, but I tried my best). There's also pictures of the room, both before and after I busted up some of the concrete just to help give a visual.

Diagram (top down view)
MmVbV21.png

Room facing north (with trench)
KKiN6Gp.jpg

Room facing south (with trench)
uhRv7CG.jpg

Room facing north (without trench)
qErV07i.jpg

Room facing south (without trench)
eOlbnhF.jpg

I just wanted to get some second opinions on my plans.

I'm in Illinois (IPC), does this look like it'd be up to code? Or at least close?

Does the toilet drain in the diagram look like it would give me trouble (clogs)? I had a friend (he's not a plumber) say he thinks that's too many turns for the toilet drain.

If the vent stack connects to the sink drain, would that work for a wet vent setup?

I should also point out that I will be using combinations as opposed to wyes and 45°s where applicable. I didn't draw them in the diagram due to my lack of art skills lol.

TL;DR (but I looked at the pictures): Making a basement bathroom. I made a diagram. Will that work?

Last edited:

Eric Kaminski

Reaction score
Shower needs a vent.
Would the vent going up from the sink not vent the shower? If not, I can very easily give the shower it's own vent, I'm just curious as to why it wouldn't vent through the sink's vent stack.

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way, I'm honestly trying to learn as much as I can.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would the vent going up from the sink not vent the shower? If not, I can very easily give the shower it's own vent, I'm just curious as to why it wouldn't vent through the sink's vent stack.
You have, I presume non-bathroom stuff from the right side of the picture. That interrupts the wet venting.

Eric Kaminski

Reaction score
You have, I presume non-bathroom stuff from the right side of the picture. That interrupts the wet venting.
Ahh I gotcha. Yeah this room is at the very end of the drain line before it goes to the outside sewer, so there's a bathroom and kitchen before this room upstairs on the first floor.

If I made the shower drain connect to the main line after the toilet/sink (whereas in the diagram, it connects before the toilet/sink), would that properly vent it? I'll likely just give the shower it's own vent to be safe (and since it won't be much extra work at all), I'm just asking for the sake of curiosity.

But other than that, does it look like the toilet will have any issues draining with the bends in it's drain line?

By the way, thank you for the advice!

Reach4

Reaction score
If I made the shower drain connect to the main line after the toilet/sink (whereas in the diagram, it connects before the toilet/sink), would that properly vent it?
No. You would have to join the bathroom stuff before that drainage joins the other stuff. If you could run your drain lines in a higher plane, you could pull it off, but you don't have the depth for that.

If you look at page 12 of https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf you will see that everything in that big IPC wet vent setup is bathroom stuff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks