Why use purple primer on sche 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris8796

Reaction score
The funny thing is, for most manufacturers, the only difference between the primer and cement is PVC. PVC cement is just primer with 10-20% PVC resin dissolved in it (and a small amount of fumed silica). I don't see how primer could make a weaker solvent weld. Its just used to clean the surface. I don't know if they use mold release agent in the manufacture of PVC Pipe, but that could be another reason.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
die_thread_die.jpg

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Quick question. Do you apply the glue directly after the primer is applied, or do you let it dry for a minute?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Quick question. Do you apply the glue directly after the primer is applied, or do you let it dry for a minute?

Directly afterwards. As you are applying the primer make sure the surface of the pipe and fitting is being cleaned. It will actually take the lettering right off the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks