Identifying stale PVC primer?

Users who are viewing this thread

J.Btfsplk

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm hoping you might be able to help me with a question about my pvc primer.

I'm a rank neophyte in plumbing. I thought that primer would always take the writing off the pvc, and that that was the way to know it was working. The primer from a previously opened partial can I was using didn't remove the black writing despite at least 10 passes. When I added the cement layer that didn't remove it either. Thinking maybe the primer was stale, I opened a new can, but it didn't remove the writing either. I didn't put on the cement the 2nd attempt because I was puzzled about the primer.

Does this mean that both cans of primer happen to be stale? Or does primer not always remove writing? This pipe has black writing not the red kind, if that makes a difference.

Appreciate any insight anyone can share on this. Thanks!

J.Btfsplk

Reaction score
Thanks, @James Henry and @Reach4.

This morning, I checked the primer in the new/fresh can (opened last night) on a pvc scrap w different printing on it. It took the printing off right away - and again, still had no effect on the writing on the other pipe that caused all the questions.

That's enough to convince me that good, active primer doesn't always remove the writing! Put another way, the primer may still be good even if it doesn't remove writing.

. . . which is kind of a bummer, actually. I thought the writing erasure thing was a handy proof to check your primer, but no such luck.

Thanks, again

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Not a plumber. A lot of those products have date stamps / expiration windows. As a DIYer, I usually buy the smallest quantity available and throw away it away, if expired before my next project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks