What kind of supply valve is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

John Mc

Reaction score
Replaced the fill unit in my toilet and when re-opening the supply I got a leak at the valve stem. General rule of thumb is to first try tightening the packing nut but this valve doesn't seem to have a standard, female threaded nut. Instead the nut is male threaded. I tried tightening this and it did stop the leak but I had to apply a lot of force. So what is the anatomy of this valve pictured below?

1641909759518.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I would see what the wall end of that looks like. Usually you would like to replace a multi-turn valve with a new good ball valve.

However that multiturn stop valve looks to have packing at the stem. I would turn off the water to the valve, which might involve turning off the house water. I would unscrew the packing gland nut, and maybe remove the handle. Then give some clockwise wraps of 3/32 packing cord around the stem, which the packing nut will press into place.

I prefer the white PTFE valve packing cord, while many prefer the black graphite valve packing cord.

stop-valve-uk.jpg

Last edited:

John Mc

Reaction score
I would see what the wall end of that looks like. Usually you would like to replace a multi-turn valve with a new good ball valve.

However that multiturn stop valve looks to have packing at the stem. I would turn off the water to the valve, which might involve turning off the house water. I would unscrew the packing nut, and maybe remove the handle. Then give some clockwise wraps of 3/32 packing cord around the stem, which the packing nut will press into place.

I prefer the white PTFE valve packing cord, while many prefer the black graphite valve packing cord.
Sure. It's threaded on the wall side.

Ideally yes a quarter turn ball replacement would be ideal but I'm not sure how long I'm going to be in this place

1641913579913.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The anatomy is the same. There is a packing washer behind the packing nut. It's different shapes to achieve the same thing. New valve$10. New packing $2, plus the time and effort to find the right one that fits, then it still might leak unless you soak the valve, then it still might leak if the valve internals are warped at all. New valve is the winner.

John Mc

Reaction score
The anatomy is the same. There is a packing washer behind the packing nut. It's different shapes to achieve the same thing. New valve$10. New packing $2, plus the time and effort to find the right one that fits, then it still might leak unless you soak the valve, then it still might leak if the valve internals are warped at all. New valve is the winner.
Thanks. That cutaway Reach4 included explained it all. The thing with very old house plumbing is everything seems to be seized or something so seemingly easy jobs like putting on a new valve sometimes result in collateral damage so I start with the "least likely to fail" move. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks