American Standard stem question

Users who are viewing this thread

-ebg-

Reaction score
Hi,

The faucet is leaking in my bathtub/shower -- the house was built around 1964. There are three handles -- hot, cold, and a diverter. They look like American Standard handles. The diverter has been leaking a little too -- turn on the shower and there is still a trickle coming from the tub faucet.

I want to replace the hot water stem and the diverter, so I took off the hot water handle and tried to find a valve rebuild kit online that matches. I think it might match the American Standard Heritage 3 valve N1020 Kit -- but I'm not sure. The stem looks similar, but the handles don't exactly match -- mine is a 9-pointed star and the kit has a 7-pointed star. I don't care about the handles, but I want to match the stem. I've attached some pictures from my bathtub. When I called American Standard, customer service told me there are no rebuild kits to match stems from 1964. Does anybody know?

I've got a second problem. I can't get the stem out. I took off a large nut from the front of it -- I don't think it is a packing nut. The stem turns easily now, but I keep turning it left and it doesn't come out. I don't see a place where I can use a tub wrench to get it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

stem_H.jpg
handle_H.jpg

TJRAD

Reaction score
Plumb master makes a master repair kit #39696....includes all your trim for three handles and all three stems.
HJ is right, once the retainer nut is removed it should pull straight out. It may take a little up and down wiggling as your pulling straight out but it will come out.
Good luck.
IMG_0858.jpeg
IMG_0859.jpeg
IMG_0860.jpeg

-ebg-

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks