What do you do with water after shocking a well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
After shock treating a well, what do you do with the water? Do you run it into your septic system? Run it onto the gravel driveway? Run it through your carbon filter occasionally back flushing to clean it up as much as you can?

Reach4

Reaction score
Ditch. Is your ditch too well groomed to get its vegetation killed? Gravel driveway would be good, but I would think the volume of water would be too great.

"Run it through your carbon filter occasionally back flushing to clean it up as much as you can?"
I really don't know if this consumes capacity in the GAC or other carbon.

Beets

Reaction score
Does carbon ever lose it's capacity to remove chlorine? Is there a finite capacity and it won't ever remove chlorine again? Or does it regenerate itself? Same question, but does it ever lose capacity to remove H2O2?

Reach4

Reaction score
You say carbon. There is more than one kind of carbon...

But for GAC, people usually predict about a 5 year life. What limits the lifetime? I don't know.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you ask the Manufacture ? and then tell us what they say that would probebly be easier as you have all that info as to who to call and model manufacture that good stuff or just dump it where you dont mind killing weeds

Beets

Reaction score
I'm using Walmart bleach (unscented)....I don't imagine I will get much customer support :) My normal chemical of use during water treatment is H2O2, and I use food grade stuff for that. But for shocking, I used the cheapest and what was readily available.

I'm using Centaur Carbon. I'm around 6 years in on this carbon. I hit it pretty hard with chlorine this shock treatment, but I had some slime in the system. I've been wondering if there is such a thing as overdoing it because if there isn't, I could theoretically run all the nasties from the shock chlorination back through it. I did run some out on the ground.

Reach4

Reaction score
I replaced my Centaur Carbon after about 8 years.

I tried rejuvenating my Centaur Carbon media by circulating bleach thru it. It did not work, and I replaced the media. I still don't know the wear-out mode of CC. My media gets flushed with a bleach solution during each regen (every 3 days), and then the bleach is rinsed out before the valve goes back in service.

In commercial use, they regenerate with steam and heat I think.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....edia-and-some-other-related-operations.99044/

Neil64

Reaction score
I run it on my long asphalt driveway to give the chlorine time to dissipate/evaporate so if wildlife drinks from a puddle they should be ok. My driveway is now heavily stained from the raw water/iron and mineral content. Glad I didn't seal the driveway at the beginning of the summer like I planned.