Weird well symptoms

Users who are viewing this thread

Sean5545

Reaction score
hello everyone new member here....

I have a 300’ deep well with a pump set at 285’ and a static water level of 80’ all measured in June of this year, by me. (I also have another 700’ deep well but for the the question that is irrelevant, it just means I have backup and therefore am not on a time table)

My issue is this:

In June I had a wire on my 3 wire pump go bad, I pulled the pump, made the repairs and re set the pump, all was well until August. At that time the pump wouldn’t build pressure to the point of tripping the upper limit on the switch, it would supply water fine but never get to cut off. Occasionally we decide to start working fine and function as it should but then it would get into A mood and the cycle would repeat. If I get 60 psi and kill power for weeks it will hold and I have no other check valves beside the foot valve. When it is acting up the tank seems to be empty And never fill.

I’ve pretty much ruled it out to either the Tank or the pump as the culprit and I was looking for thoughts from anybody who has experienced any similar issue.

Thanks
Sean

Reach4

Reaction score
If your static water level changed, the pump that could pump to 63 psi last week may only pump to 55 psi this week. I guess there could be other explanations.

Do you have info on the pump, such as HP and gpm rating?

Sean5545

Reaction score
If your static water level changed, the pump that could pump to 63 psi last week may only pump to 55 psi this week. I guess there could be other explanations.

Do you have info on the pump, such as HP and gpm rating?

It’s a Gould’s 3/4 HP 12 GPM.....this well functioned fine for 15 years before the issue with the wire back in June.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
1) check the nipple between under pressure switch see if its clogged up. You would have to have a bad gauge too for this to be the culprit.

2) Goulds never made a 3/4 12 gpm...the make a 10 and 13 gpm series...neither of which have any business being set that deep in a well. Some other brands made 3/4 12gpm but None of them would build 60psi much past a water level of 200ft in the well.

I suspect above post is right that water level in well is lower than pump I capable of building pressure.

Sean5545

Reaction score
1) check the nipple between under pressure switch see if its clogged up. You would have to have a bad gauge too for this to be the culprit.

2) Goulds never made a 3/4 12 gpm...the make a 10 and 13 gpm series...neither of which have any business being set that deep in a well. Some other brands made 3/4 12gpm but None of them would build 60psi much past a water level of 200ft in the well.

I suspect above post is right that water level in well is lower than pump I capable of building pressure.

I’ll get the part number in a little bit. I think it started with a 7gs if memory serves me correctly. I actually bought a new tank T and gauge etc.

Will be back with that infor soon. Thanks for the replies

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
A 7GS07 would be a 7gpm 3/4 hp and it would be more appropriate for the installation you describe. It is still not capable of building 60psi cut off if the well draws down past about 250 ft. Short term you should cut switch down to cur off at 50 or 55 psi.
Long term, if you dont have a leak or restrictions like a filter before the switch you need to be thinking a out a new pump. It could either be the well is drawing down OR the pump is worn out...but either way it's not doing the job you want it too. A 1hp 7 gpm would be better suited if the water level is drawing down.

Reach4

Reaction score
I’ll get the part number in a little bit. I think it started with a 7gs if memory serves me correctly. I actually bought a new tank T and gauge etc.
Goulds 7 GS would be a 7 gpm pump. Good size for most residences as long as there is not some higher gpm requirement for some reason. The table shows what a pump in good condition would do.

Note that it is the depth to the surface of the water that matters, rather than the depth of the pump, for this purpose.

img_2.png

Sean5545

Reaction score
A 7GS07 would be a 7gpm 3/4 hp and it would be more appropriate for the installation you describe. It is still not capable of building 60psi cut off if the well draws down past about 250 ft. Short term you should cut switch down to cur off at 50 or 55 psi.
Long term, if you dont have a leak or restrictions like a filter before the switch you need to be thinking a out a new pump. It could either be the well is drawing down OR the pump is worn out...but either way it's not doing the job you want it too. A 1hp 7 gpm would be better suited if the water level is drawing down.

I’m sorry it’s actu a 7g10413L I was mistaken.... I have a spare 7g15413L and control box that I will test and then drop I suppose

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 7GS10 is best and should be able to build plenty of pressure. Now I am thinking the opposite could be your problem. The 7GS10 or 7GS15 would need a 10 GPM Dole valve to prevent upthrust damage from a high static level of 80'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks