Emergency 12 volt external pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I’m trying to find a 12 volt dc pump that I can push a pipe down the 6 inch well casing in case the submersible pump dies suddenly or during storm no electricity.
The current set up is a 6inch steel cased well to 320 feet. There’s a 3/4 hp 240 v two wire pump installed at 300 feet. The static level is 5 feet and the well produces 4 gpm.
If I can get a 3/4 inch hose attached to the 12vdc pump how deep should the hose go and how much water can I draw from the temp setup??

Fitter30

Reaction score
The one problem isn't the pump but the size. You have wiring and pipe that goes down. Max depth is 28' with a pump above ground unless u can find a two pipe jet pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know how much head a 12 volt boat bilge pump can generate. I see it lifting water out of the well, but not pressurizing your plumbing.

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I don't know how much head a 12 volt boat bilge pump can generate. I see it lifting water out of the well, but not pressurizing your plumbing.
I’m not looking to pressurize the plumbing
Those small pumps maybe 20lbs pressure
I’m more to fill a 5 gallon Jerry jug for flushing and cleaning up

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
The one problem isn't the pump but the size. You have wiring and pipe that goes down. Max depth is 28' with a pump above ground unless u can find a two pipe jet pump.
Would the two pipe deep well pump fit in the 6inch casing along with the pitless and the 1inch poly pipe?
What goes at the end of the two pipes to get water up to the pump? Does a jet pump need a lot of water to prime? Over 5 gallons?
Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the static level is only 5' deep you may not need to stick another pipe down the tube to make it work. A 12V RV type pump will work with a retention tank as shown. But if the water level is shallow enough it might work without the retention tank and just draw water up through the submersible pump and existing pipe.
Retention tank with 12v RV backup.png

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
If the static level is only 5' deep you may not need to stick another pipe down the tube to make it work. A 12V RV type pump will work with a retention tank as shown. But if the water level is shallow enough it might work without the retention tank and just draw water up through the submersible pump and existing pipe.
View attachment 96104
If I were to hook up a one pipe jet pump to the 1inch pipe from the pitless to the basement would the pump be able to pull water up from 300 feet where the submersible pump is?
There is a check valve at the submersible pump
Are you thinking that the 295 foot level that the water in the 6 inch casing would push the water up thru the pump??

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If I were to hook up a one pipe jet pump to the 1inch pipe from the pitless to the basement would the pump be able to pull water up from 300 feet where the submersible pump is?
There is a check valve at the submersible pump
Are you thinking that the 295 foot level that the water in the 6 inch casing would push the water up thru the pump??
Yep. You say the static is at 5' from the surface. Then a pump will only be lifting from 5', even though the pump and intake is 300' deep. I think the RV type pumps might work lifting from 5'. But if you pump very hard and the water level drops, 25' or so is the max depth any suction type pump can lift from. I think all you will need to do is install a check valve with a tee before and after in the main line. The RV pump will draw from the 5' deep side and pressure the house lines, albeit at a reduced flow and pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks