Water Softener problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Big Brand site lists 3 different brands of resin but I have not been able to find the quantity, although I assume it is 1 cubic foot.
http://www.bigbrandwater.com/wasore.html

Here is info from the plumbing supply site regarding types of resin. I have bolded the point where they tell how to find what kind of resin you have. Most but not all systems use cation resin.

"Will my softener remove tannin?"
Most people don't have this concern, as in most situations tannins is not a problem. Most people don't have that and so we don't want to offer a resin that is specifically designed for that. Most brands of softeners can remove tannins but not with cation resin (which is what we offer on this page). Our Soft-Economizer softener comes with quality cation resins which are specifically designed to remove hardness (and will not remove tannins). We do not wish to offer anion resins since for most people cation resins are what they need for their softener.

"How long will the resin last?"
As long as strong oxidizers do not come into contact with the resin, the resin will last under normal operating conditions for approximately 10 years, possibly longer. For instance, high iron contact with the resin will cause the resin to 'foul' sooner. There are resin cleaners available for that purpose; however, we do not offer them, as most are considered a hazardous shipping material.

" How can I tell if I currently have anion or cation resin in my water softener that I bought elsewhere?"
Place the resin in a beaker of brine (NaCl) and then give that solution a good swirl. If the resin floats it is probably anion resin and if it sinks it is probably cation resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks