Upward mounted TPR valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
That's problematic if the WH is in the basement, and the discharge would have to go up to get to daylight! Admittedly, basements are rare in some parts of the country.

NYC is blessed with hundreds of thousands of "basements" and all have a boiler (s) or HW tank or a indirect line to an unfired tank

The one telltale difference is the level this space is on. A true basement is below grade and can be half a level above the street. A cellar, on the other hand, is below ground. A basement may have windows. A true cellar will not have any windows.

Knowing I cannot have a T&P, Safety or a Relief valve discharge above it.

The options are place the discharge above a floor drain or a cooling pit for steam prior to discharging it into the public sewer system

The picture is a boiler we installed well below ground BUT above the city sewer and we brought in free air for combustion with a "fan in a can" as a regular size opening will allow mongrels to bust into the ware house and steal everything not welded down

combustion-air-system.jpg

Combustion Air System, 325cfm, Gas

sylvan-boiler-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
2 Stories below street level and the basement and sub basements have floor drains connected to the public sewer

3 stories below we installed several Federal sewer ejectors pumping up to the subbasement

sylvan-boiler-02.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Here, the discharge line almost ALWAYS has to discharge to the exterior of the building.
But never when you were in Chicago, for fear of freezing.
I wonder what they do in the 7000 ft elevations in AZ.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cold weather likely a mechanical room with floor sink or drain. likely they do something different in Florida , most of the homes have them in garage today I believe single family detached is all I've seen there in my travels My Dad built several customs and I've been in a number of slab on grade homes there . t and p guessing on floor or outside like CA

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

The only time I ever had pneumonia was in Great Lakes Illinois Sept boot camp was FREEZING

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks