Undermount tub help

Users who are viewing this thread

Nobodyhasthisname2

Reaction score
Ok - I'm working on my bathroom, I've done a lot of DIY projects, lots of plumbing but I think I've bitten off more than I can chew here.

We've planned our bathroom with an undermount tub (see attached picture of what we're going for).

I have a porcelain slab (12mm thick) and have a fabricator that is going to install that (I'm not so crazy to think that I could handle the slabs...)

I'm currently building the structure for around the tub (2x4 studs to be covered in plywood), and plan to waterproof it prior to installation of the slab.

Last night as I was going over everything in my head, I realized that I won't be able to get to the water lines under/inside the frame once the slab is installed and don't have a way to install the faucet. Will I have to come in from below? (ie: open up the ceiling in my living room?).

IMG_0127.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Install a wall faucet instead.

Access from below is out of the picture.. that is 18-22" above the finished floor depending on how deep of a tub, through a sub floor and joists just to reach the faucet..

Nobodyhasthisname2

Reaction score
Install a wall faucet instead.

Access from below is out of the picture.. that is 18-22" above the finished floor depending on how deep of a tub, through a sub floor and joists just to reach the faucet..
we don't have the space on the walls because of windows.

How would they have done it in the picture I attached? install the top piece of the slab, open the side of the structure and work on the faucet and then close up the side and put the slab on? I can't imagine any other way....

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
They did it for a photo op. They don't need to worry about when the hose leaks and needs replacing or if the spout becomes loose because someone kicked it.

How about a floor mounted filler?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might be able to make that outside panel removable. Some strong magnets epoxied to the back and the mating plate screwed to the frame might work. You might need a couple of suction cup devices to pull it off, though.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might be able to make that outside panel removable. Some strong magnets epoxied to the back and the mating plate screwed to the frame might work. You might need a couple of suction cup devices to pull it off, though.

If the panel were cut into thirds it might be doable.. and if the stone were 2cm rather than 3.. that would be a massively heavy piece.

Nobodyhasthisname2

Reaction score
A floor mount faucet would look cumbersome in the space that we have, but I think we've come up with a solution.

We have a vanity that will butt up against the tub on the end opposite the shower. We had already planned not to run the slab all the way to the wall (and have an access panel in the vanity) to allow for access to the motor for the air jets, so we'll just put the faucet at this end so that we can access both of them in the event of any issues. Its not ideal because the faucet is really too nice to be hidden behind a vanity but in this case, function will win out over form.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes you might require a hole in lid and in floor and get up in there to plumb it. or install deck first complete plumbing and close the sides its your call you'll never have access again. so a handheld hose sprayer would be a bad idea unless the hose attaches in the open. talk it over with your marble installer.
Also consider your drain connections whether you'll need access to waste and overflow

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks