Tub drain leak in wall

Users who are viewing this thread

nickb7

Reaction score
I had a leak from my upstairs tub and had to remove part of the wall to get at it. It turned out to be leaking from the slip nut in the horizontal pipe that connects the drain to the overflow riser. A simple fix but I was surprised that such leakable parts were sealed up behind the drywall. Is this normal? Would it be better to replace to system with glued fittings?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing codes change.

In Seattle, you now have to use glued fittings for the tub waste and overflow. When I started in plumbing, everyone was using slip joint drains.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And I have been in homes where glued fittings have failed.

It's rare. But can happen.

So there really is no guarantee either way.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ian, I will be replacing a glued one on Monday for a customer.
The home is about twenty years old.

Last edited:

nickb7

Reaction score
Why do they still sell slip joints? Are those for accessible installations only?
Where is the best place to buy this kind of stuff in Seattle (Redmond) are do you think?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some places sell whatever they want to. The inspectors sometimes ask them to clear the shelves off non-code items, but it's been a losing battle.
It just means more work for someone when the inspector see it and wants it removed. The plumbers know the codes, we put the right stuff in.

Any supply house should have the code legal stuff.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you want a brass overflow assembly, it WILL have slip joint connections. If you use a plastic one the come with slip joints or glued connections. REgardless of the type, the integrity of the drain depends on the experience of the installer. Someone who cannot tighten a slip joint nut, could also assemble a plastic one without gluing the connection. Your drain did NOT suddenly start leaking. It has leaked from the day it was installed, therefore, the repair, including any wall replacement, should be the responsibility of whoever installed the drain. That person was not you, was it?

Last edited:

nickb7

Reaction score
Er, no I did not install it. If I had I would have known what was in there. It is in an infrequently used guest bathroom so maybe is has always been leaking, there was a lot of staining in there.