Taps fixed twice, water still running from faucet and tap handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Erica

Reaction score
I have a basic two handle laundry tub tap arrangement. A couple of years ago I had a problem with gurguling sounds in the faucet (not the drain). At some point the hot water tap would not shut off either and I had to use the shut off which meant no hot water for the sink, nor for the washing machine. I believe the faucet still made gurgling sounds, which stopped when I stuffed a plastic bag in the faucet the stop the noise until I could pay for a plumber. I eventually paid a plumber to repair it. New tap handles and fitting were were put in at that time on both the taps for the hot and the cold water. A couple of months ago, the hot water tap started running again. This time, the shutoff did not work either. I paid a plumber from a different company to fix it. It worked for a month. First the faucet started gurgling loudly, and then the last night I realized the water was running non-stop again. It is more than a drip. It is thin continuous flow. I used the shutoff which requires almost more force to turn that I can manage. In addition to no hot water in the sink, the shutoff also means no hot water for the washing machine once again. However, the gurgling stopped. Today I turned the shutoff on again as I though I might turn it on to do some laundry. The water did not run out the faucet much - just a drip, but this time ran out behind the handle of the shutoff. I believe that was an issue before the new fittings were put on last year, too. I just went to take a couple of pictures and note that when all taps are turned off, it sounds like there is water running. However, I checked the water meter and it does not indicate that we are using water.

I have had some maintenence done on the hot water tank and expansion tank and was told everything was in order there now.

I cannot affford to pay for a third round of repairs. It will have to be a DIY job, although I have no idea what I am doing. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Erica

Attachments

• 20200627_174003 (1).jpg
    20200627_174003 (1).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200627_173050 (1).jpg
    20200627_173050 (1).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
We need a picture to give a reasonable answer.
800 pixels or less can be uploaded as an attachment.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That type of valve uses a washer and a seat. If the seat is damaged, a new washer may only work for a short time, if at all until those rough edges on the seat tear it up.

If I were going to deal with this, I'd consider installing a washing machine shutoff that easily lets you shut both the hot and cold water off quickly. It is recommended to shut the water supply off to a washing machine when you are not actively using it in case a hose decides to let go. There are lots of different versions. A type that uses a 1/4-turn ball valve, as long as you used it regularly, would probably last longer than one with a washer. Here's one that combines both into one on/off fixture.
everbilt-washing-machine-valves-vwmduaf3eb-64_400_compressed.jpg

Erica

Reaction score
Replacing the shutoff may be easier.
You have 1/2" copper pipe and this stop will go on with a wrench and pliers. You can cut the old valve off and tighten this one on the pipe.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...VRAnnCh2zuQPGEAQYCSABEgIsg_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

View attachment 63945
That seems less complicated than I anticipated. One of my few DIY skills is cutting copper pipe. I helped my son make a glockenspiel he designed for a science project. Tuning was accomplished by cutting copper pipe to specific lengths. The price is certainly right. Thank you.

Erica

Reaction score
That type of valve uses a washer and a seat. If the seat is damaged, a new washer may only work for a short time, if at all until those rough edges on the seat tear it up.

If I were going to deal with this, I'd consider installing a washing machine shutoff that easily lets you shut both the hot and cold water off quickly. It is recommended to shut the water supply off to a washing machine when you are not actively using it in case a hose decides to let go. There are lots of different versions. A type that uses a 1/4-turn ball valve, as long as you used it regularly, would probably last longer than one with a washer. Here's one that combines both into one on/off fixture.View attachment 63946

That would explain why neither repair lasted, although everything worked well to begin with. I will look at this fitting and the one above and see what I am most able to attempt. I am happy to have some options in an affordable price range now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks