Tank filling problem

Users who are viewing this thread

kewl1

Reaction score
A few years ago I replaced the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400. In fact all 3 toilets. Now one of them will not fill automatically. I flush the toilet and the water just drips back into the tank. However, if I turn off the little water valve feeding the toilet, and turn it back on, it will eventually fill, and quickly. I can turn it on and off with no success also. It seems to work best if I turn it off and then start to turn it on VERY SLOWLY. Then the water comes rushing in and the tank fills quickly. My brother, a plumber in the US told me to open the tank, take the cap off the Fluidmater, twist out the next part, turn on the water and ensure that water is flowing up through the tube. It definitely is. I soaked the walls and everything doing this one time after forgetting to turn off the water first. So my question is....is it definitely the Fluidmaster? It does not seem to make sense to me that I can still fill it by very slowly turning the water back on. Could the problem be in the little water valve or the flexible metal hose feeding the toilet? I'm at my wit's end and my wife is driving me crazy about this. I am the worst DIY guy in the world and first to admit it. I tried to upload a video but it was too big.

Last edited:

kewl1

Reaction score
When you twist off the top turn it upside down and you will see a diaphram. remove it and replace it with a new one. Part # is 242 and readily available.

https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/fill-valves/242-toilet-replacement-seal/
When you twist off the top turn it upside down and you will see a diaphram. remove it and replace it with a new one. Part # is 242 and readily available.

https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/fill-valves/242-toilet-replacement-seal/
Thanks again Thanks again Marlinman. I went and got the part and it worked like a charm. I'm not used to being successful at fixing stuff.
Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks