Strange electrical experiences

Users who are viewing this thread

Travis Hall

Reaction score
It might be that the connection between the neutral bars is bad. You would not be having the symptoms you listed because of a loose ground.
That's what the problem was. I took off the connector between neutrals and it was smoked. I cleaned it up and put it back together and it is working perfect. Thanks.

Travis Hall

Reaction score
The problem was a loose connection on the connector for the neutral bars. It's fixed now. Thanks for all the help.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Suggest that you turn off all those arc fault breakers and do you voltage check again. I would remove the breakers to do the checks. In other words, I suspect you have a faulty arc fault breaker that is putting voltage on the neutral.

The problem was a loose connection on the connector for the neutral bars. It's fixed now. Thanks for all the help.
Want to bet? A loose connection to the neutral buss would not put 250 volts between a hot and a neutral.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Suggest that you turn off all those arc fault breakers and do you voltage check again. I would remove the breakers to do the checks. In other words, I suspect you have a faulty arc fault breaker that is putting voltage on the neutral.

Want to bet? A loose connection to the neutral buss would not put 250 volts between a hot and a neutral.
If the neutral is open, any 240vac circuit could give you weird voltages through the panel when on (say a WH, or furnace, stove, etc.). In the panel, neutral and ground are connected...if there was a connection from the hot side, you'd normally either have a fire, or trip a breaker.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Huh? The voltage between an open neutral bus and a hot could vary between 0 and 240V, depending on the 120V loads on both hots.

It would depend if the open neutral was on the line or load side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks