Basement flooding, major problems

Users who are viewing this thread

sajesak

Reaction score
Just venting here...

Came home to 4" of water in entire basement... over 1000 sq ft, partially finished. Mondo rain coupled with ice melt and snow/ice pack direct run off against foundation likely caused it... oh, and the fact that the sump pump isn't working. Came in through walkout stairway (sump is under stairs).

Random list of things that got hit:

1) Pellet stove

2) Treadmill

3) Gun safe (only synthetic stocks touching water but some major oiling will be needed to prevent rust)

4) A lot of camping and cycling gear

5) 4 soggy, scared dogs and a sodden, hypothermic kitty (will make full recovery but years of therapy likely needed, hehe)

Wife left at 7am, no water. I should've been home by 9 but got delayed at work with emergency and got in at 1pm. 4 hrs was the big difference. Just a confluence of bad circumstances... if i could've caught it earlier and realized sump was dead, might have changed EVERYTHING. now looking at five digit insurance claim.

Off to pellet mill to ask about soggy Europa...

sajesak

Reaction score
Just venting here...

Came home to 4" of water in entire basement... over 1000 sq ft, partially finished. Mondo rain coupled with ice melt and snow/ice pack direct run off against foundation likely caused it... oh, and the fact that the sump pump isn't working. Came in through walkout stairway (sump is under stairs).

Random list of things that got hit:

1) Pellet stove

2) Treadmill

3) Gun safe (only synthetic stocks touching water but some major oiling will be needed to prevent rust)

4) A lot of camping and cycling gear

5) 4 soggy, scared dogs and a sodden, hypothermic kitty (will make full recovery but years of therapy likely needed, hehe)
When flood hit my Indianapolis house and I was in need of water damage restoration services i hit them up

Wife left at 7am, no water. I should've been home by 9 but got delayed at work with emergency and got in at 1pm. 4 hrs was the big difference. Just a confluence of bad circumstances... if i could've caught it earlier and realized sump was dead, might have changed EVERYTHING. now looking at five digit insurance claim.

Off to pellet mill to ask about soggy Europa...
thanks in advance for any help

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
at a loss for advice though

I've always been blessed with water free basements, but don't they make water detection sensors that can be connected to the home's alarm system? That's what I would advise.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've always been blessed with water free basements, but don't they make water detection sensors that can be connected to the home's alarm system? That's what I would advise.

John
Undoubtedly they do probebly wifi alert I dont know but we got technology thatll help I think

dollinger

Reaction score
Had that happen twice. What a mess. First was a washing machine drain hose broke. The second time the sump pump circuit tripped.

For the washing machine, I installed a solenoid shut-off with a power relay to shut off the washing machine. That has saved my bacon twice since.
For the sump pump install a battery backup with a power and level alarm.
For lead detection, I installed a leak detector to the IO on my HVAC thermostat and set it up to push an alert to my phone. Then I placed sensors in various places in my basement. There are now wifi lead detectors FEIT Electric makes one.

The other thing I did was to bring in dirt and build up around my house and put a concrete pad slopped away where I had a limited slope away from the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks