roofing contractor advice

Users who are viewing this thread

sajesak

Reaction score
Backstory: Before my wife and I met, she owned her own home - part of a duplex. Once we got married she moved into my house and we tried to sell hers. Failing that, we ultimately ended up renting it using a property management company.

About a year ago, the other owner of the duplex was getting their roof redone (as was most of the neighborhood) due to hail damage. Since it didn't seem to make sense to only do half the roof, the other owner gave the contractor my wifes contact info and she (my wife) decided it made sense to go ahead and have the roof done, paid for by insurance. The renters were living in the house at that time.

After the winter months, the renters called noticing water damage on the outside wall of the bedroom. It was only in a few places along the wall, but it was noticeable. No other water damage was evident anywhere else along the outside wall of the house. After talking about it, we thought it was probably an ice dam issue that caused water backing up - as she never had problems there with the old roof. We contacted the annandale roofing about the damage in May, and he said he would come out there and repair the roof at no cost to her and - in his words - "make it right".

We tried to arrange it so he could get out there and see the damage himself, but he never contacted the renter so he could go inside to look at the damage. The renter tried on several occasions to contact him with no results. After that my wife tried calling him - leaving him messages, and also emailing him and his website and never got any response. So here we are, almost a year since the work was intially performed, and the roofer has yet to go out to the house and see the water damage first hand, let alone return the myriad of messages and emails asking when he can get out there and fix the roof.

I guess my question is where do we go from here? Although the insurance company compensated my wife for the intial repairs, she was the one who wrote the check to the roofer. Are we better off just saying the heck with him and hiring another roofer to repair the damage (an option neither one of us is excited about), or do we possibly move this to small claims court, or are there other options for roofing washinton dc. Honestly, I haven't had much difficulty with contractors before, either personally or through work, so I'm not sure of the next steps that we should be taking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, my wife's house is in Wisconsin - in case different state laws may apply.

Last edited:

sajesak

Reaction score
Backstory: Before my wife and I met, she owned her own home - part of a duplex. Once we got married she moved into my house and we tried to sell hers. Failing that, we ultimately ended up renting it using a property management company.

About a year ago, the other owner of the duplex was getting their roof redone (as was most of the neighborhood) due to hail damage. Since it didn't seem to make sense to only do half the roof, the other owner gave the contractor my wifes contact info and she (my wife) decided it made sense to go ahead and have the roof done, paid for by insurance. The renters were living in the house at that time.

After the winter months, the renters called noticing water damage on the outside wall of the bedroom. It was only in a few places along the wall, but it was noticeable. No other water damage was evident anywhere else along the outside wall of the house. After talking about it, we thought it was probably an ice dam issue that caused water backing up - as she never had problems there with the old roof. We contacted the roofer about the damage in May, and he said he would come out there and repair the roof at no cost to her and - in his words - "make it right".

We tried to arrange it so he could get out there and see the damage himself, but he never contacted the renter so he could go inside to look at the damage. The renter tried on several occasions to contact him with no results. After that my wife tried calling him - leaving him messages, and also emailing him and his website and never got any response. So here we are, almost a year since the work was intially performed, and the roofer has yet to go out to the house and see the water damage first hand, let alone return the myriad of messages and emails asking when he can get out there and fix the roof.

I guess my question is where do we go from here? Although the insurance company compensated my wife for the intial repairs, she was the one who wrote the check to the roofer. Are we better off just saying the heck with him and hiring another roofer to repair the damage (an option neither one of us is excited about) roofing contractor silver spring , or do we possibly move this to small claims court, or are there other options. Honestly, I haven't had much difficulty with contractors before, either personally or through work, so I'm not sure of the next steps that we should be taking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, my wife's house is in Wisconsin - in case different state laws may apply.
appreciate any help with this.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
First you must determine the cause and where the leak is. My last home during two hurricanes, wind driven rain was blown up to the soffits and stained the drywall. It was not a roof leak.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
How many times have you called? Sometimes I like text because it sort of doccuments that message was sent letters and email is good. The tenants might not have the same interest you do they might not really care that much its not thier problem its 100 percent your problem.
Just My opinion is you need to get very serious about this. True we really dont know the cause of the leak. it is pretty normal though to have a roofer come out when a roof leak is expected maybe tell your roofer you will have it looked at and he may incur costs even for the inspection (if there is fault with the work he performed) if he cant get out there in a timely fasion

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I am the 3rd generation roofer prior to being a plumber.

What type of roof was installed?

Did you ask for any certifications such as manufacturers guarantee? Many companies at least a 15 year warrentee

Was the roofer licensed and insured?

sajesak

Reaction score
How many times have you called? Sometimes I like text because it sort of doccuments that message was sent letters and email is good. The tenants might not have the same interest you do they might not really care that much its not thier problem its 100 percent your problem.
Just My opinion is you need to get very serious about this roofing contractor falls church va. True we really dont know the cause of the leak. it is pretty normal though to have a roofer come out when a roof leak is expected maybe tell your roofer you will have it looked at and he may incur costs even for the inspection (if there is fault with the work he performed) if he cant get out there in a timely fasion
appreciate your suggestion. thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would just have my lawyer write him a letter. It's not that much money and he'll likley respond quickly.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Depending where you live, re-roofing requirements are slightly different. Such as you cannot place new singles owner old ones In Florida. Water proof membranes must be in all valleys.

Three tabs usually state a 15 or 20 year roof, multitab 30 years and available in 40 year. Bottom line the life of the roof is about 1/2 the rating especially in the sun belt along the gulf coast.

Your contractor should take the roof down to the wood. New underlayment, water proof membrane in the valleys and the first 3 ft or so from the drip rail. Also new drip rails should be installed.

sajesak

Reaction score
Depending where you live, re-roofing requirements are slightly different. Such as you cannot place new singles owner old ones In Florida. Water proof membranes must be in all valleys.

Three tabs usually state a 15 or 20 year roof, multitab 30 years and available in 40 year. Bottom line the life of the roof is about 1/2 the rating especially in the sun belt along the gulf coast at peachtreerestorations.com.

Your contractor should take the roof down to the wood. New underlayment, water proof membrane in the valleys and the first 3 ft or so from the drip rail. Also new drip rails should be installed.
also thank you for your suggestion

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks