Skinny Deep Junction Box

Users who are viewing this thread

BS

Reaction score
Hello. We're replacing our wall oven and need to relocate the junction box to accommodate the new unit. The existing supply line (#8-3 with #10 ground) will barely reach the new location and the box needs to be recessed in the wall. I won't have access to the wall until the installer comes and removes the old unit (I don't want to cut into the other side of the wall). The problem is the stud bay (if you want to call it that) where the junction box will go is only 2-1/2", maybe 2-3/4" wide. I've been looking on line for a deep single gang box that might work with no luck. Any suggestions? Thank you.

-Bernie

Reach4

Reaction score
They have box extensions, if you want to go deeper.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hardwire or a receptacle?

Hardwire, if the whip from the oven has #10s (a guess), then you'd need a box with a volume of 3*3 + 4*2.5 = 19 in^3 (or 20.5 in^3 if the whip has #8s). Receptacle, you'd need to find one that will fit in a single gang box, I believe they do exist. Then you'd a volume of 5*3 + 2.5 = 17.5 in^3. This assumes external cable clamps on the box.

Looks like there are plenty of non-metallic single gang boxes available up to 24 in^3, so it shouldn't be a problem. For a metal box, you can use a nominal 4x2 "handy box" with an extension ring, as Reach4 suggests. E.g. both are available at 1-7/8" deep.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks