Shut Off Outdoor Faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

LilyM.

Reaction score
I need to turn off the outdoor faucets at my house. In a new home I am not familiar with. This is what I found in the closet with the water heater. Do I turn the green lever? Or twist the blue knob? At my previous home I turned a knob, but it did not have an outlet on the side like this one.
IMG_0476.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
To me that looks like the house water main shut off that will turn everything off.

What do your outside faucets look like?

They may be frost free hose spigots which would have their handles straight out from the valve, and possibly a vacuum breaker cap on top.
1668633143526.png

Or they may be non frost free, in which case the handles are likely at a 45 deg angle on top.

1668633200509.png

LilyM.

Reaction score
It resembles the 'frost free' example and has what I am assuming is a vacuum breaker cap on top.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK.. Then the most important thing to do is to make sure that your hoses are disconnected from them. This allows the water to drain out of the valve at a point that is supposed to be warm enough inside your walls to keep the water from freezing in the pipe. If you have hoses that are ON the spigot and it has frozen at this point, then you need to verify if the water is frozen inside the spigot.

It can't hurt to place a frost cover over the spigot.

hosebib-cover.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks