Shower Wall Extension

Users who are viewing this thread

Pajake75

Reaction score
My hot water pressure in my shower/tub has slowed over time and wanted to check and/or replace the valve. The valve is in this extension(?) and it will not move. Besides pipe wrench, I've tried penetrating spray, CLR, applied heat and it won't budge. The tile is so tight to the extension, I can't even see where/what it's screwed into. Any ideas to get this out, so I can check or replace the valve?

Edit: I should have mentioned that I have taken the hex nut off and the stem loosens, but doesn't come out. It feels like it should come out, it spins around, but I didn't want to force it and have something break inside. Obviously I'm doing something wrong or maybe a specific tool I need(?). I found a picture with the hex off, but there is an error when I try to upload the picture to the forum.
20210316_140448.jpg
20210316_140459.jpg

Last edited:

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
The portion with exterior threads is part of the valve body. The stem is removed by turning the hex portion counter-clockwise. If it won't turn try turning the stem to the "on" position. It is an American Standard valve that has two different versions of stems, both are common and easy to find. If the washer is rough or cut you will need to change the seat. Both versions use the same seat.

Pajake75

Reaction score
The portion with exterior threads is part of the valve body. The stem is removed by turning the hex portion counter-clockwise. If it won't turn try turning the stem to the "on" position. It is an American Standard valve that has two different versions of stems, both are common and easy to find. If the washer is rough or cut you will need to change the seat. Both versions use the same seat.

Thanks, Mr. Tee. I'm going to edit the original post, because I should have mentioned that I have taken the hex nut off and the stem loosens, but doesn't come out. It feels like it should come out, it spins around, but I didn't want to force it and have something break inside. Obviously I'm doing something wrong or maybe a specific tool I need(?). I found a picture with the hex off, but there is an error when I try to upload the picture to the forum(??).

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leave the hex nut off, put the handle back on, yank on the handle. It will pull out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks