Self piercing saddle valve brand

Users who are viewing this thread

Pietroone

Reaction score
Is there a specific brand of saddle valves that are any better than the others? Need to replace an existing one that leaks when shut off. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to cut the pipe for a better solution. Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
not that I know of . id just get one that fits. I avoid those if possible. never seen one that Id want on my house

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
By "leaks when shut off" do you mean around the stem or it just does not fully shut off?

Some (most?) rely on the piercing pin-to-pipe contact to make the seal when closed so if they were cranked to bottom out, you will never get a good seal. IMHO they are designed to be open most if not all of the time. If the top half of the saddle has a pipe thread into which the valve screws, you might be able to find a better quality valve that does not rely on the piercing pin to seal.

Places that sell hydronic heating supplies might be a better place to find replacement parts or fittings.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Is there a specific brand of saddle valves that are any better than the others? Need to replace an existing one that leaks when shut off. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to cut the pipe for a better solution. Thanks

I never used a piercing /saddle valve but removed lots of them

We install a tee and install a valve and reduce the size to what is required

"Most state and local codes prohibit the use of a saddle valve, also known as a piercing saddle valve, saddle tap or needle valve, consisting of a clamp that punctures a hole in an existing water intake pipe. It is a shortcut used instead of installing a more permanent and secure connection."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks