My angle stop valve is very loud, what's a good solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

kyyyyyle

Reaction score
When I moved into my house I had a saddle valve which fed into my humidifier. I cut out the pipe around the saddle valve and added a tee so I could add a multi turn angle stop instead. The problem is that it's so loud when my humidifier kicks on, you can hear the water rushing through the valve, which in turn carries throughout all my air vents in my house. I figured maybe it was just a bad valve, so I swapped to a 1/4" turn instead. It improved a little, but not by much.

Any ideas on what the best solution would be? Are all valves with 1/4" outlets that loud? Should I go to an all brass valve?

Attachments

• 2023-03-28_13-29-06.jpg
    2023-03-28_13-29-06.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 71

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could try switching to plastic pipe. Not 100 percent sure it'll fix the problem, but plastic tends to be quiter than copper water pipe.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I moved into my house I had a saddle valve which fed into my humidifier. I cut out the pipe around the saddle valve and added a tee so I could add a multi turn angle stop instead. The problem is that it's so loud when my humidifier kicks on, you can hear the water rushing through the valve, which in turn carries throughout all my air vents in my house. I figured maybe it was just a bad valve, so I swapped to a 1/4" turn instead. It improved a little, but not by much.

Any ideas on what the best solution would be? Are all valves with 1/4" outlets that loud? Should I go to an all brass valve?
1- Great idea to remove a saddle valve

2- Bad idea to use plastic on a potable water line as some codes do not allow it

3- Try throttling the valve (closing it a little more) if it does not work think about making an air chamber, shock absorber

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it a water hammer pounding? or the rush of water ? not knowing much about humidifiers its gotta use a tiny amount of water, it can only put so much water into the air . I think something else is going on . I guess youll have to expirament . try this Close ball valve to W/H remove angle stop clean out the stop or verify that its totally clear open ball valve and flush water out.
Re install angle stop and test . Im assuming its not the humidifier causing noise

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I’m guessing you’re hearing it while the water is flowing. I have the same issue but mine is downstairs. If you are in the room you can definitely hear it. I have a straight through ball valve on a tee so it’s not your valve causing it. I’m guessing it’s just the sound of water through the line. I also have copper.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
well maybe a 3/8 line to the unit but its gotta be a tiny amount of water ? those units must spray a mist inside or something and its the humidifier a guess hvac guy or manufacture should know something

Taylorjm

Reaction score
well maybe a 3/8 line to the unit but its gotta be a tiny amount of water ? those units must spray a mist inside or something and its the humidifier a guess hvac guy or manufacture should know something
Humidifiers all use 1/4” od tubing. Nature of the beast. All they need is a trickle of water to keep a basin full as it evaporates.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Humidifiers all use 1/4” od tubing. Nature of the beast. All they need is a trickle of water to keep a basin full as it evaporates
If its not the valve and not the line . then its the humidifier a trickle shouildnt make noise but i never messed with the humidifier I just ran a line over next to the furnace for the hvac contractor

kyyyyyle

Reaction score
It's the rush of water through the angle stop, not any water hammer. The sound carries through the humidifer 1/4" line and through my vents. I wouldn't say anything is necessarily broken, but I am looking to dampen the sound since it's near a commonly used space in my house.

If I cover my hand over the angle stop, it definitely quiets the noise. I'm leaning towards buying a brass straight valve.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's the rush of water through the angle stop, not any water hammer. The sound carries through the humidifer 1/4" line and through my vents. I wouldn't say anything is necessarily broken, but I am looking to dampen the sound since it's near a commonly used space in my house.

If I cover my hand over the angle stop, it definitely quiets the noise. I'm leaning towards buying a brass straight valve.
Change to plastic first, it's probably easy and cheap to try.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Well if you are sure its the valve change the valve , If I thought it was valve Id change it too. it could be a noise starting at the valve and then thransfering through the copper line to the sheetmetal noise transmission.
Do something even if its wrong, I avoid guessing but whatever it takes to fix it. changing to plastic with a 3/8 inch valve and line perhaps? one thing at a time I suppose? the velocity of flow is far less than 1/4 the hole in the valve and copper is small so water travels faster and noisier. I might be barking up the wrong tree, but you gotta take some action or nothing going to change

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks