Tying 2-inch washer into existing stack

Users who are viewing this thread

itsttl

Reaction score
Greetings,

The previous owner of my house plumbed the washing machine to just dump out into the wetlands next to our house and we'd like to drain it into the stack properly so frogs don't smell like laundry detergent. They replaced the septic and drain field when we bought the house but somehow approved the washing machine draining into the swamp...

Anyways, there is a stack (pictured) a few feet from where the machine drains out the side of the house. The washer has a proper 2" standpipe, trap. and vent, which is probably why the home inspector didn't catch it. It looks like it previously went into an abandoned 2" pipe that goes through cinderblock wall.
20231223_225204.jpg

Where would be the best spot to cut in to add the 2" drain with minimal impact to the existing configuration? I was thinking of using a oatey 2" to 3" saddle between the shower and wc (green circle in photo). Are there any issues the experts here can see with doing that?

Thanks in advance!

itsttl

Reaction score
I hate to bump my own thread, but I know everyone likes each project contained in one thread... I just realized the only way I can meet the slope requirements is to increase the size of the pipe to 3" (so that I can do 1/8" instead of 1/4" per foot). Is there any reason not to upsize the pipe? The 3" will be draining into the 3" via a wye much like how the shower currently enters. Thanks.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
For some reason this post just showed up.

Some areas allow gray water to be dumped onto the ground, but usually restricted in most jurisdictions. Taking the wash water to a swap doesn't sound legal since it could be detrimental to the environment.

Is the washer on the first floor or in the basement? The problem with a saddle is the 2" inch inlet is not at an angle. Similar to a sani-tee where it is not allowed in a horizontal position. A possibility is add a 3" tee at the clean out.

itsttl

Reaction score
A possibility is add a 3" tee at the clean ou

*slow blink* I can't believe I didn't think of that. The washer is on the first floor, about 40 ft away. That would fix my slope issue as well since it's a larger drop to get to the existing cleanout vs the arm of the drain that goes right. Thank you for the reply :)

PS: It's not allowed here to drain grey water onto the ground. I may have been grandfathered in, but when we do laundry it smells like a laundromat outside.

itsttl

Reaction score
I hate it when OPs don't follow up, so even though I know this isn't perfect, and I likely did something wrong, I'm posting anyway.

So, when I ran the 3", the 1/8 slope was easier to hit than I calculated since the bottom of the joists in the crawl space were not equal to the bottom of joists in the basement. I decided I didn't really want to extend the cleanout and use more space in the basement. I ended up with this monstrosity. Yes that's like 160 degrees of change on a the horizontal. It exceeded 135 degrees and I have a real easy cleanout 30 feet away.

I took a good look at the plumbing when I started working and realized the shower and sink are not vented. What you can't see in the photo is a hard 90 drop after the shower trap arm.

We are saving for a bathroom remodel so this will all be redone in a few years. FWIW everything drains fine, there is no gurgling at the shower or sink when washer drains. I did have to clean out a mass of crud and rodent bones from the vent (ew). I installed a roof vent screen and a water leak sensor on the floor behind the washing machine just in case that'll shut off the washer if the 160 degree water slide I built were to clog and back up.

Anyway, that's all I got. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20240119_133851 - Copy.jpg
    20240119_133851 - Copy.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 46

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hate it when OPs don't follow up, so even though I know this isn't perfect, and I likely did something wrong, I'm posting anyway.

So, when I ran the 3", the 1/8 slope was easier to hit than I calculated since the bottom of the joists in the crawl space were not equal to the bottom of joists in the basement. I decided I didn't really want to extend the cleanout and use more space in the basement. I ended up with this monstrosity. Yes that's like 160 degrees of change on a the horizontal. It exceeded 135 degrees and I have a real easy cleanout 30 feet away.

I took a good look at the plumbing when I started working and realized the shower and sink are not vented. What you can't see in the photo is a hard 90 drop after the shower trap arm.

We are saving for a bathroom remodel so this will all be redone in a few years. FWIW everything drains fine, there is no gurgling at the shower or sink when washer drains. I did have to clean out a mass of crud and rodent bones from the vent (ew). I installed a roof vent screen and a water leak sensor on the floor behind the washing machine just in case that'll shut off the washer if the 160 degree water slide I built were to clog and back up.

Anyway, that's all I got. Thanks for reading.
i dont like the turns but with all the grade and 45s instead of 90s plus its new pvc you wont have problems with stoppages in the next few years keep the rats outta the pipes though itll be ok

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks