Rust in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

loop1

Reaction score
I have a shallow (65 feet) well whose water is loaded with very fine reddish particulates that I assume is iron oxide. No silt, no bad odors, just this gunk. It is very fine--I have a 4.5 x 10 inch filter rated at 1 micron in the system and even with a new filter I sometimes get a small amount of rust in the water. The filter loads up with this material in just a few months of usage by 2 people. I do not want a major system to deal with this problem, so I will be changing filters fairly often. My question is--which type of filter is best for this problem--pleated, wound polypropene, etc. Also, some pleated filters claim you can wash them out and reuse. Is this true?

Reach4

Reaction score
My question is--which type of filter is best for this problem--pleated, wound polypropene, etc. Also, some pleated filters claim you can wash them out and reuse. Is this true?
There are certainly reusable/washable pleated filters. I was thinking of buying one for my next well sanitizing, for the recirculating water.

In my two sanitizings I have recirculated through a Pentek DGD-5005-20 cartridge that I had previously had in service for over a year. I am thinking that maybe a coarser washable pleated filter could match that job better with less backpressure. My current cartridge filters are overkill. I ordered the housings before I decided to put in my front line backwashing filter, so there is little left for the cartridges to catch.

I think my latest sanitizing was 2016 spring. It seems to have lasted for a good while.

Are the Pentek DGD filters better than, or as good as, a good pleated filter? I don't know. You ask a good question.