Replacing different shower stem valves

Users who are viewing this thread

ThatIsTheWay

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am currently renovating my laundry room and looking to replace the shut off valves to my washing machine's hot/cold supply lines. As you see in the photos, the shut offs are actually Central brass chrome shower stem valves, which seems unorthodox to me but maybe that was a "thing" for houses built in the early 80s?:

20231114_142544.jpg

Anywho, I was looking to replace these with these nice satin brass fixtures I found online, detailed as a replacement kit for Sayco shower trims (a popular brand in the 60s evidently) which go well with the antique brass fixtures we've been slowly replacing in our connected laundry room/1st floor bathroom:

61a+83ygHlL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

After removing one of the handles and stem sleeves, I was stopped in my tracks by what looks to be a completely different style of stem valve. My adjustable wrench wouldn't budge the old stem and the socket that came with the new kit was slightly too small. Are these Sayco valves not going to be compatible with the current Central valve body?

20231114_142712.jpg

20231114_142610.jpg

I love the look of these Sayco style valves, but if it's going to be major work to retrofit them with the current hooks ups, I may need to reconsider. I have no experience replacing these and was assuming it would be a quick swap out, but you know what they say about assumptions :) Any advice would be much appreciated!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
They arent interchangeable just rebuild with central brass parts ! I never saw that in the 80s but in the early 1960s was popular way to plumb the water to wash machines I like it!

ThatIsTheWay

Reaction score
They arent interchangeable just rebuild with central brass parts ! I never saw that in the 80s but in the early 1960s was popular way to plumb the water to wash machines I like it!
Thank you my research confirmed the same reality. Well, at least in taking apart the handle, I was able to fix a slow leak in one the current stems. I might just CLR the deposits off the old ones, then spray them with metallic antique brass paint and call it a day!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont get the problem or question ? are you having trouble finding trim for the valve or replacing the stems?

ThatIsTheWay

Reaction score
I dont get the problem or question ? are you having trouble finding trim for the valve or replacing the stems?

Neither. One of them was slowly leaking, but I found out it was just an out of position rubber washer causing it. I reseated the washer and tightened it back up and no leaks!

My main objective was that I wanted to change the trim for aesthetic purposes. I decided to save some $ and finished them to look like the other antique brass hardware in that room with paint supplies I had on hand. I'm pleased with the results!:

20231120_091622.jpg

20231120_091630.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks