Replacing a 2" Packer Well

Users who are viewing this thread

BadgerMike

Reaction score
Hopefully the 3rd time's the charm (I tried posting in different locations earlier today)!
Thank you in advance for any/all input

I have a 2" casing with 40' of 1" draw (two 20' pipes that I'm glad I pulled before building a roof overhead!)
Planning to put back new 2" Flotec single pipe jet kit using 40' (4-10' sections with slim couplings) well head adaptor and new 3/4hp Wayne convertible jet pump.
QUESTION: Do I need a foot valve attached to the jet body (1 1/4" would not fit in 2" casing so would have to be 1" and not sure if that would be too restrictive?) Old jet came up in decent condition but nothing attached to it...could have rotted off but I'm guessing never had one.

Did not think to check the depth of the casing alone before making the 3 1/2hr drive home so plan to do that first when I get back to make sure there's enough depth for the 41-ish feet of stuff.

Not sure how long it had been like this but when tested (by another potential buyer) in September 2020 it was reportedly putting out 6gpm.
Here's what the old jet looked like when it came out (not bad?) and I believe the old pump was 1/2hp.
index.php
index.php

Also forgot to say that I was planning to use 1 1/4" pipe so that it was directly sized to the new well head and jet assembly which came supplied with 1 1/4" thin "turned" couplings.
If I use 1" again, I'd need to size up to 1 1/4" inside the well head and the supplied venturi on top of the jet assembly will not fit in 1"...possibly an 8"x 1 1/4" nipple and then reduce down to 1". Seemed like a lot of size changes/joints and since I don't want to re-use 20' long pipes thought I'd go with new 1 1/4" top to bottom (but I'm concerned with valveman's comment that 24' would be the max...would that get better or worse with bigger pipe?)
index.php

BadgerMike

Reaction score
Hopefully the 3rd time's the charm (I tried posting in different locations earlier today)!
Thank you in advance for any/all input

I have a 2" casing with 40' of 1" draw (two 20' pipes that I'm glad I pulled before building a roof overhead!)
Planning to put back new 2" Flotec single pipe jet kit using 40' (4-10' sections with slim couplings) well head adaptor and new 3/4hp Wayne convertible jet pump.
QUESTION: Do I need a foot valve attached to the jet body (1 1/4" would not fit in 2" casing so would have to be 1" and not sure if that would be too restrictive?) Old jet came up in decent condition but nothing attached to it...could have rotted off but I'm guessing never had one.

Did not think to check the depth of the casing alone before making the 3 1/2hr drive home so plan to do that first when I get back to make sure there's enough depth for the 41-ish feet of stuff.

Not sure how long it had been like this but when tested (by another potential buyer) in September 2020 it was reportedly putting out 6gpm.
Here's what the old jet looked like when it came out (not bad?) and I believe the old pump was 1/2hp.
index.php
index.php

Also forgot to say that I was planning to use 1 1/4" pipe so that it was directly sized to the new well head and jet assembly which came supplied with 1 1/4" thin "turned" couplings.
If I use 1" again, I'd need to size up to 1 1/4" inside the well head and the supplied venturi on top of the jet assembly will not fit in 1"...possibly an 8"x 1 1/4" nipple and then reduce down to 1". Seemed like a lot of size changes/joints and since I don't want to re-use 20' long pipes thought I'd go with new 1 1/4" top to bottom (but I'm concerned with valveman's comment that 24' would be the max...would that get better or worse with bigger pipe?)
index.php
upload_2021-3-25_17-53-38.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
(but I'm concerned with valveman's comment that 24' would be the max...would that get better or worse with bigger pipe?)
He was talking about a suction pump -- not your system with the venturi, packer, and leathers.

BadgerMike

Reaction score
Any advice on how to chlorinate the 2" packer system...add bleach/water mixture as I install the piping (not sure how to introduce the mixture once all is put together)?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Do I need a foot valve attached to the jet body (1 1/4" would not fit in 2" casing so would have to be 1" and not sure if that would be too restrictive?) Old jet came up in decent condition but nothing attached to it...could have rotted off but I'm guessing never had one.
Yes, a foot valve should be used. The jet works with pressure so it is best if there is pressure at pump start. If there was no foot valve, then there would need to be a check valve topside. A topside check valve makes it harder to prime.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any advice on how to chlorinate the 2" packer system...add bleach/water mixture as I install the piping (not sure how to introduce the mixture once all is put together)?
I don't think there is a way to sanitize the area of the well below the packer once the packer is in place with available hardware.

I could imagine a special foot valve with a built-in pressure relief that would let you force a disinfectant solution down with a temporary external pump set up for the purpose. I doubt that somebody is going to manufacture such an item.

Last edited:

BadgerMike

Reaction score
Checked depth...84’ to a rock hard (sounding) bottom. Water seemed like it was at +/-19’.
Put all my new components together and carefully lowered into the 2” casing. Re-did the crappy wiring and fired it up. Not sure if I’m adjusting the ‘control valve’ correctly on the 3/4 hp Wayne but followed their instructions and now it won’t pressurize over 40lbs. Not sure if that is a good place for the gauge as it reads “0” while the pump is running.
Tank was at 28psi...what else could be wrong...air leak?
Maybe leathers are not totally sealed yet (I didn’t soak them before installing)?

BadgerMike

Reaction score
...would a check valve between the pump and tank help?
I don't think any of your pipes have a vacuum.
thanks Reach for the quick reply!
You think it’ll get better after the Packer soaks fir awhile?
(Looks like some of my posts are getting doubled up...bad internet up here!)

Reach4

Reaction score
...would a check valve between the pump and tank help?
I think that is only a workaround if your foot valve is leaking. You should not need a check valve other than the one in the foot valve.

BadgerMike

Reaction score
Well...I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes (and maybe someone else will learn from them or at least get a good chuckle!);)
Had my jet assembly, foot valve and even the first coupling put together at home, but didn't want to leave the venturi/ejector threaded in so it wouldn't get damaged on the trip up north. Put it 40' down the hole yesterday and the thing wouldn't build pressure over 30psi. While noodling this morning on what I could have screwed up I confirmed that all four nozzles that came with the jet kit were still in the box!!! My wife was a great help pumping the jack today and we pulled up the whole mess, added the nozzle and slid it back in...works PERFECTLY (+/- 2 minutes to recharge when it kicks on at 30).
Thanks for your advice (hope I don't need it in the near future!)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks