removing old flotec and installing new GE whole house sediment filter

Users who are viewing this thread

nub76

Reaction score
hows it going?

I want to put in a new GE whole house filter and having trouble unscrewing old flotec, my idea was to heat up joint and remove everything then use compression fittings with new GE housing. idk if thats good idea maybe you guys know how i can unscrew old housing i took a picture.

If heating solder and removing is best idea when putting new one in, doesnt seem pipes going to have alot of give, what order should i install fittings . I dont have *alot* of experience but ive done some plumbing.

thanks in advance
20230624_121313.jpg

nub76

Reaction score
been working on trying to unscrew old flotec rather than heat and remove, which way do i turn the old unit to loosen? put some superzilla on there see if itd help. thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you will need to cut something. I presume that pipe on the right is coming from the water meter.

I would be inclined to replace that multi-turn valve with a new quarter-turn ball valve. That would be a good use of compression IMO. As part of the process, you would need to make some saw cuts. One at clean pipe close to the old shutoff valve.

One would be on the left of the existing filter. Where to go from there? I might consider a Sharkbite slip connector left of the new filter. That can bridge a gap of a specified width. I don't find where that gap size is written.

Clearly you cannot unscrew the piping from the old filter, and to the new filter, without cutting.

More than one way to do all of this. Your expertise at soldering would be one factor. But that connection to the incoming pipe should probably not be solder. Even after you turn off the water at the meter, it would be hard to get that incoming pipe dry. Compression is not bothered by moisture. I am not a plumber.

nub76

Reaction score
thanks for answering. it seems it was brazed on so i cut the pipe and cut off the water shutoff im gonna try fix it looks like gonna be calling a plumber ugh

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks