Relocating pressure switch - sanity check

Users who are viewing this thread

heppm01

Reaction score
Somewhere along the way a previous owner moved the pressure tank from one spot in the basement to another spot about 15' away, but unfortunately left the pressure switch in its old spot. The end result is about 25' of 1" pipe between the switch and the tank. I understand this is really bad, and can confirm that the switch bounces three or four times when hitting the upper pressure limit. I intend on moving the switch to be mounted at the tank, but before I do so I want to run the plan past you to see if there is anything I am missing.

The first picture is the existing switch setup. The switch and gauge both work fine, so my plan is to re-use the assembly. I will make a cut at the blue line and cap the 1/:2" coming off the 1" line.

pressure switch.JPG

At the tank I will remove the plug circled in red, and using appropriate fittings install the old switch T in a vertical orientation.

tank tee.JPG

(Of course I will also have to re-do the electrical wiring but I am confident with my knowledge there).

So -
1. Is this a reasonable thing to do?
2. Is there anything technically incorrect or undesirable with the end solution?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Moving the pressure switch to that location should stop the bouncing on start and/or stop. But won't do anything about the repetitive cycling on and off. The tank looks a little old, better check the air charge.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you plan to put a brass elbow which will make the new brass nipple vertical. Good plan. It should solved you early cutoffs and restarts.

And maybe even a new 0-100 psi pressure gauge would be good.

Pressure switches are fairly cheap, so you might as well go

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks